Chapter 19 -What's at Stake

Maggie sat in a secluded corner of the Hog's Head, offering the raucous regulars only a friendly nod here and there. She was here on business tonight.

"Miss Darling"

She looked up as Lodgok greeted her warmly, sliding into the seat opposite her.

"Lodgok," she replied, lifting her glass. "How did things go when you gave Ranrok the helm?"

"Unfortunately, presenting the helm did not have the effect I had hoped," Lodgok said with a weary sigh, "Knowing about the spells placed on the tomb, he presumed I'd had help from a witch or wizard."

"That's rich considering he's working with Rookwood," she said, trying to manage her disappointment.

"I'm afraid we do not have the luxury of rational expectation when it comes to Ranrok," he said gravely.

"Tell me about it," she muttered, swirling the contents of her glass. "He doesn't strike me as the most reasonable chap."

Lodgok let out a deep, regretful sigh. "He wasn't always like this," he said sadly. "In our youth he was adventurous and optimistic. He was always fascinated with magical beasts, constantly travelling to explore the wonders of this world and the creatures that inhabit it."

"One day, he stumbled upon an illegal dragon camp. He was young...and captivated by the creatures. So he started visiting in secret whenever he could. After weeks of watching from afar, he finally summoned the courage to speak with the wizard in charge. He wanted to join them... and the creatures."

"Sounds like something I would've done," Maggie said, raising her eyebrows in surprise.

"Indeed, Miss Darling," Lodgok continued. "The wizard happened to drop his wand; Ranrok saw it as an opportunity... he picked it up to hand it back as a means of introducing himself.... But the wizard only saw a goblin with a wand... He beat Ranrok within an inch of his life." Lodgok shook his head sadly, clearly close to this painful memory. "That sealed Ranrok's deep hatred for humans."

Maggie's expression softened. "I see. I can understand why he feels the way he does," she said quietly. "But not all wizards are created equal, any more than goblins are."

Her thoughts involuntarily drifted to Sebastian. She wondered if prejudice born out of such deeply personal experiences could be overcome.

"It is a hard truth for many to accept," Lodgok replied. "Even I have only recently become more open-minded."

"If only it could take just a few good people—or goblins—to change minds," Maggie mused, offering Lodgok a small smile, as they clinked their glasses together.

"Even so, Ranrok isn't himself anymore," he muttered bitterly as his grip tightened on his drink. "Damn Bragbor and his blasted journals."

"Bragbor?"

Lodgok set down his glass with a resigned sigh. "I suppose if we're to work together, I must tell you more. Bragbor was an ancestor of Ranrok's—a renowned metal worker."

"Not long ago, Ranrok sent me to collect a recently unearthed set of his journals. They described a set of repositories that Bragbor had been commissioned to build."

Maggie's eyes widened as the dots connected in her mind. "Do these 'repositories' happen to be large goblin metal spheres of magic... like the one at Rookwood castle!?"

"That's right," Lodgok nodded. "Ranrok believes that these repositories are just another example of wizards hoarding power for themselves. He's determined to claim them for goblin kind, but..."

"But what?" Maggie pressed.

"There's something... not right about that magic," he said seriously. "I can't explain it, but something about it feels wrong."