19

As Freen's friends, Nam and Heng were deeply concerned about her. They had seen her go through this pattern of mourning before, but this time seemed especially difficult for her. They decided to take her out to dinner, hoping that it would provide some distraction and lift her spirits.

At the restaurant, Freen tried to put on a brave face, but her sadness was evident. Nam and Heng were doing their best to engage her in conversation and make her laugh, but nothing seemed to lighten her mood. As the night went on, Freen started to drink more than usual, using it as a way to cope with her emotions.

"Hey, Freen, maybe you should slow down a bit with the drinks," Heng said, trying to be gentle.

But Freen brushed off his concern with a dismissive wave of her hand. "I'm fine. I can handle it."

Nam and Heng exchanged worried glances but didn't press the matter further. They knew that when Freen was in this state, it was best not to push her.

As the night wore on, Freen's drinking intensified, and her speech became slurred. She started blaming herself for Lily's death, believing that she could have done more to save her. Nam and Heng tried to comfort her, assuring her that she had done everything she could, but Freen wouldn't listen.

"It's all my fault," Freen sobbed, her voice breaking. "I should have been able to save her."

Nam and Heng exchanged another worried glance, knowing that Freen was beating herself up over something that was beyond her control. They knew they needed to do something to help her, but they weren't sure what.

Nam and Heng exchanged another glance, knowing that they needed to do something to distract Freen from her sadness. "Hey, why don't we order some food?" Heng suggested, hoping that it might take Freen's mind off her grief.

But before they could order, Nam had an idea. She pulled out her phone and called Becky, explaining the situation to her and asking her to come to the restaurant.

Becky arrived shortly after, a concerned expression on her face as she saw Freen in distress. "What happened? Is everything okay?" she asked, rushing over to their table.

Nam and Heng quickly filled Becky in on the situation, explaining that Freen had been struggling to cope with the loss of her patient. "We thought maybe you could help calm her down," Nam said.

Becky nodded and took a seat next to Freen, wrapping her arm around her. "Hey, it's going to be okay," she said soothingly. "I know it's hard, but you did everything you could for Lily. You're an amazing doctor, and you can't blame yourself for things that are beyond your control."

Freen looked up at Becky, her tearful eyes meeting Becky's comforting gaze. "I just feel so helpless," she admitted.

"I know," Becky replied, squeezing Freen's hand. "But you can't carry the weight of every patient's outcome on your shoulders. You have to remember that you're doing your best, and that's all anyone can ask of you."

Becky POV

As I arrived at the restaurant with Nam's directions, I could immediately see the distress in Freen's eyes. She looked so vulnerable and lost, and my heart ached for her.My heart heavy with concern for Freen. I could see how distraught she was, and it broke my heart to see her in such a vulnerable state.

Nam and Heng explained to me what had happened, and I understood that Freen was mourning the loss of a patient. I knew how deeply she cared for her patients and how much she blamed herself whenever she couldn't save them.