Chapter 18 : Lander Parr

Start bij het begin

[FLASHBACK]

JeMair woke up when he felt his wound hurting. When he opened his eyes, the unfamiliar walls and ceiling greeted him. He winced from the pain but discovered that his wounds are already bandaged up. He tried to recall what happened and remember that he was hurt by the mysterious man at the forest. He carefully stood up and looked around. He looked outside from the window and it was still dark but he could see a piece of paper sticking under the glass. He approached it and open the window to take the paper.

There he read the words, "You can't protect everyone. No matter what you do, you will only be able to save one. You only have to eyes to watch but I can see from a far. Let's begin the game. Let's see who will you be able to save, my friend. Choose wisely, JeMair Anon."

JeMair looked around but obviously, he saw no one. He balled his fists and crumpled the paper, grinding his teeth. He took a deep breath as he carefully closed the window and went out of the room. He planned on just leaving a note before leaving but saw Launce sitting on the couch, a cup of coffee in his hand. He didn't expect him to be related to his new classmate but their last names solve the mystery.

"JeMair, you're awake." The man quickly stood up and assisted him to the seat.

"I'm fine, Detective Tales." JeMair stated.

"I know you're fine but you still have to be careful, young man."

"Mm. Thank you for taking care of me and I'm sorry for causing trouble." JeMair lowered his head.

Launce sighed and looked at him. "It's nothing, don't mention it. But I want to ask you something..."

"What is it, detective?"

"What happened at the forest? Do you have any idea of who could have done this?" He asked.

"No. It was darka dn I couldn't see anything. I just know that whoever was behind this was a coward and I'll do everything to make him pay for what he did to my friend." JeMair clutched his jaw.

"Don't involve yourself in this. Leave it to me and the other people in charge." Launce patted his shoulder.

"I know I'm not as experienced as you, Detective Tales but I will protect my friends. I will not let anyone hurt my family anymore. I already lost my best friend, Mike. I can't lose another one."

"I know. I know how you feel." Launce sighed once again. "But Nhissie is worried about you. I don't know what happened to my cousin but she's damn worried about you. She cried earlier and that was the first time I saw her shed tears for years." JeMair was taken aback by what Launce had said.

"I..."

"Nhissie...no. My cousin, she's the only family I have. She's a great girl and I know that she will protect you if you're in danger, she will protect anyone." Launce smiled but his eyes are worried.

JeMair looked at him, he has no idea what to say. "Detective Tales..."

"Whatever you do, please, don't get hurt. If anything happens, call me." He handed him a calling card.

"I..."

"Whatever you do, don't let your guard down. I know you won't listen to me and I can't confirm it yet but I know, someone's watching." Launce looked directly at the younger's eyes. "You can't protect everyone, JeMair. You can only choose one at a time, that's the reality." He then stood up and patted the younger's shoulder.

"Then what should I do, detective?" Launce stopped when JeMair spoke.

He looked back at him. "Choose yourself."