Chapter 18: Starry night

"The stars are out tonight," Cramer remarked as his car sped down the road. "Maybe we won't have to worry for awhile about days of school lost to snow-covered roads."

Jean looked out her car window. "The stars look so sharp and well-defined tonight."

"That's because of the cold. There's no heat waves to cause distracting shimmers. The thermometer should hit nearly zero tonight."

"I don't care what's causing them to shine that way, I think they're beautiful."

"You would, without any thought about the cold that's locked the country in its grip. That's the difference between us, Miss Harnett. I'm the practical scientist and you're a hopeless romantic."

"There's room for both of us. The world is a big place."

"I know. That's what makes knowing you so rewarding. You give me a different viewpoint."

"I think that's one of the nicest things you've ever said to me, Mr. Cramer. Why are you feeling so expansive tonight?"

"I'm feeling good about my life. I spent part of the weekend with Paul."

"Oh? With Elise, too?"

"No, she stayed with Mother. They talked girl stuff, I imagine. Mother's thrilled to finally have a daughter in the family. And the women entertaining each other gave Paul and me some time to ourselves."

"Where did you two go?"

"Out to our grandparents' farm, and we just walked. And talked. We hadn't done that in a long time. We hadn't really been able to communicate since he got back from the service in December. I thought we didn't have much in common anymore, but Saturday afternoon showed me we did. We talked about old times and growing up together. We couldn't seem to get things said fast enough. We kept interrupting each other. Then we talked about now, and that was a little harder to put into words. But we said it, and we both feel better now."

"I'm glad."

"Paul's really a great guy, but do you know what? He seemed to think the same thing about me!"

Jean grinned at the awe in his voice. "I told you that he wants you for a brother, not an admirer or president of his fan club."

"I'd been shutting him out for years and didn't realize it. He told me how lonesome he'd been without my companionship. I'm glad now that you told me."

"I was out of line that day. I'm surprised you didn't tell me to mind my own business."

"Well, I knew that I was doing something wrong with Paul. Thank goodness I listened to you. I think that he and I can be friends now. Equal friends."

"I'm glad about that, too."

"How about you? When are you and Paul going to patch up your relationship? I know he still wants to be friends with you."

Jean panicked. "I'm not ready yet."

"I know you aren't, but it has to be done sometime. I'd go with you to see Paul, if you want. The four of us could have dinner together on some neutral ground. Some impersonal, public place might be better than in some home. Outside distractions might help blunt awkward moments."

"You'd do that? For me?"

"For the person who opened my eyes about Paul. I owe you a great deal."

"I'll think about it. I don't want to lose Paul's friendship."

"And Elise? They're a package deal now."

"Elise and I don't travel in the same circles."

"She's a very nice person, despite the family money."