Chapter 16: Early Morning

"I didn't know you were this professional, Miss Harnett," Cramer was saying to her early the next morning in his office.

"Well, education of our children does come first, doesn't it?"

"I agree. It is the most urgent thing in our American society."

She looked at the fire in his eyes. Good Lord, he believes all this stuff! This IS what he lives for!

"Well, I don't know about it's being the most urgent problem facing us," she mumbled. "Think of crime in the streets, unwed mothers, unrest in the Middle East--"

"No, you're right the first time! Children are the future of the world!" He paused for a calming breath. "I had no idea you felt so strongly on this subject. We'll have to discuss it further. I have some professional journals I could lend you."

"That sounds thrilling, Mr. Cramer," she declared in the most enthusiastic voice she could muster. She had often heard of this species, the professional teacher, but she thought she would never see one.

He picked up a magazine off his desk. "There's an article in here I want you to see. Glance over it. I'm anxious to hear your opinion about the theories it presents."

He watched her face as she started the article. At last she knew what 'turned him on,' as the kids would say. But what a sacrifice! A dry educational article at 3 a.m.

Jean waded into the article and her college-trained mind started to categorize facts. She felt as if she were making a class report, but she knew she must know what she was talking about.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Cramer. I can't give this article my full attention right now. I'll have to get back to you about it."

"That's fine. Maybe the next time at my mother's."

She eyed him. She never knew when he was teasing.

"I'm glad we went to see the Ice Capades, Paul, even if it has been a long drive," Jean said as they sped through the late afternoon sunshine.

"Had you ever seen them before?"

"Once. About five years ago. We went all the way to Lansing, but it was worth it. How about you?"

"Twice, when I was in the service. I saw the Harlem Globe Trotters, too."

"I love watching them! Especially that Meadowlark Lemon!"

"He is a card, isn't he? They're going to be in Des Moines next month. Want to go with me?"

"Sure! I'd love to! It's a date."

The prospect of an official date hung between them. They'd both been unconsciously trying to keep the situation between themselves light, and now they realized how hard they'd been working at it.

A crossroads appeared ahead, and Paul read the signboard.

"Canton, fifteen miles west of here. That's your hometown, isn't it?"

"Yes. Where are you going?!" she demanded as he swerved the car sharply to the right.

"To Canton. It's about time I met your parents. Let them see who their daughter is traveling halfway across the state with." He glanced at her. "Will they mind an unexpected visit?"

Jean laughed. "Heavens, no! They'll love it."

And they did. Frank and Louise Harnett took to Paul as if he were a long lost friend.

"Sit down here, Paul," Frank invited. "I've got the Bulls' game on."

Paul sat up with interest. "Really? How are they doing?"