Chapter 4: October

Cramer absently eyed Jean as she stepped into his office, but she was determined she would see this thing through.

"Come in, Miss Harnett. I'll be finished with Cheryl in a moment." He turned to the student standing in front of his desk. "Cheryl, what if you and the refreshment committee meet second hour and--"

Jean listened to his careful instructions and saw Cheryl's worried face brighten with Cramer's solution to her problem.

"Thank you, Mr. Cramer. That will work! Excuse me, Miss Harnett."

Jean stepped aside so the student could get by her in the small office.

"What can I do for you this morning, Miss Harnett?"

"I want to organize a pep club."

Cramer blinked. Gosh, she realized too late that she should have built up to this declaration. Well, the damage was done. She might as well plunge ahead with her arguments before he recovered enough from his stunned look to stop her.

"The cheerleaders need to know they have the support of the student body. During ball games, the kids are scattered with parents, they don't yell with the cheerleaders, and nobody can recognize them as Woodstock supporters," she explained as she paced his office. "The kids should sit together, wear similar uniforms, and be proud of their organization and school."

"Miss Harnett, will you please sit down? Now, I know that your home town has a pep club--"

"Yes, and I was very proud to be a part of it!"

"I can imagine. But you came up through the grades just living for the day when you could become a pep club girl. These students have never looked forward to that, therefore it wouldn't be as important to them."

"But we could build up the tradition. They could learn to care."

"Maybe other people do not get as involved as you do," he said diplomatically.

"Maybe Canton students have more loyalty and school spirit than Woodstock!"

He bristled. "If you want to organize a pep club, you have my permission to try. Miss Bergetti can help you, if she wishes."

"She's already volunteered. I thought if some of the more popular girl students and class leaders would join, then the other girls would, also."

"That sounds logical," he snipped. His blue eyes seemed to be snapping.

She knew he was angry with her again. He was mincing his words, probably so he wouldn't yell at her.

"Thank you, Mr. Cramer." She jumped to her feet.

"Miss, ah, Harnett--"

She turned back to him. "Yes?"

"I wish you luck. If you need any help, I'll be glad to do what I can--"

"If I need help, I'll remember your offer!" she snapped.

Oh, gosh, why had she been so catty with him? What if she would need his help? How could she face him if she failed?

Well, she just wouldn't fail, that was all there was to it!

Determinedly, she marched off to her classroom.

The girls wore the simple red sheath skirts they had made in home economics class with long sleeved white blouses and red bows in their hair. They sat together in one section of the bleachers and yelled the cheers they had rehearsed with the cheerleaders. Parents and spectators alike seemed impressed, and the boys even seemed to play better football.