Chapter 33: June

"That coral dress looks good on you, Jean. The color shows off the tan you've already gotten."

"Thanks, Zoe. I did manage to get some sun this weekend, between final fittings and family dinners."

"I don't know how you found the time to lie out with the schedule you had. I don't even try to sunbathe anymore. I just turn pink and look flushed."

Brian leaned around Zoe to talk to Jean. "The sun's not the only thing that turns her pink and flushed."

"Brian!" Zoe scolded, utterly aghast at his brazenness.

"What? You know you're allergic to dust. I don't know what you were thinking about, woman," he said innocently.

Zoe was speechless and Jean suppressed a grin as she settled back to watch the program that was beginning on the stage in front of them.

Jean had returned early Sunday to attend Baccalaureate services. Now she sat with Zoe and Brian as the ceremonies started. Earlier that evening, they had told her that they were going to Africa as Peace Corps volunteers. She saw the soft glances between them and suspected that they had more news that they weren't quite ready to share yet.

During the service, Jean glanced at the platform where Reverend Gardener sat listening to white-haired Reverend Phillips' rather nasal delivery on the subject of keeping God in one's boat through the voyage of Life. Superintendent Jimmy Adair was intently studying something above the heads of the audience. And Robert Cramer looked hypnotized. More likely, after the week he'd just completed in Chicago, he was asleep with his eyes open.

Jean caught Cramer's eye several times, but he always looked swiftly away. So much for the cherished notion that he'd missed her while he was gone to Chicago and wanted to spend some time with her now.

When the Baccalaureate services were over, Jean melted into the crowd and left the auditorium as quickly as she could. She was in no mood to socialize, anymore.

"Hello?"

"Jean? How are you? This is Jerry Cramer."

Jean grinned into the telephone. "Jerry! How good to hear your voice! How's school?"

"Just fine. I'm glad I returned. I wouldn't have been happy if I hadn't. I know that know. I have you to thank for that."

"I'm glad everything's going so well for you, Jerry. I love hearing from you, but what's the occasion?"

"I understand you're leaving Woodstock School."

"That's right. In just a few days now."

"I might not ever hear from you again."

"Jerry--"

"And I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too," she whispered back, unable to raise her voice any higher.

"I thought you might be staying."

"I have no reason, now."

"Might there have been?"

"I thought so. At one time."

"What's going on in Woodstock? Or, maybe I should ask, what isn't going on that should be? Something involving a certain thick-headed brother of mine."

His voice had lost its light, jaunty tone, and Jean knew what he was talking about.

"THAT seems to have become the favorite contemporary topic of the civilized world. As for the answer, I'm not the person to ask. Ask him."

"Are you kidding?! I don't have a death wish. Maybe my family was premature with what they thought was going on between you two, but I was thrilled with the idea. Then it all blew up. I'm nowhere near the battlefield, but from what I understand from others not so lucky, you are by far the more approachable of the two combatants."