Chapter 6: Ghosts

"Cramer really has joined our group," Zoe said later. "He's starting to sound like Landis. All three of them were pretty bossy about those tires. Who needs big brothers with those three around?"

Jean grinned. "It's nice to be around guys who care for us and our welfare."

"There you go again. Honestly, Jean, don't you know anything about men? They like to feel like big shots around frail, little helpless things like us."

Jean winked. "I know. Anything wrong with that?"

"You're using female wiles."

"Uh huh. Can't hurt."

"Which one are you after?"

"Gosh, I don't know. Guess I'm just practicing. Cramer doesn't interest me, and Brian and Craig are pals. I guess we'll just have to take out to Dexter some night, or maybe even clear over to Springfield, and I'll get in more practice. We can see what the prospects are available."

"Now, you're talking! This might not be such a dull winter, after all!"

"What would happen if we got in trouble while we were, you know, tomcatting around?"

"What kind of trouble?"

Jean shrugged. "Oh, barroom brawls. Raids on bars. Locked up all night in the drunk tank. You know, the usual thing."

"Honey, you travel in a faster circle than I do. You're way out of my league."

"No, I'm serious. What kind of thing would cause such serious trouble that a teacher would lose her job around here ?"

"You'd be amazed. It really depends on where you're located and what the place will tolerate, or finds out about. One of my Education teachers said to never party in the town where you're working."

Jean laughed. "One of mine said the same thing. Wonder if they found out the hard way?"

"Either they or someone they knew did."

"In other words, leave the party animal stuff behind at college graduation."

"Right. Then there's the serious stuff. I heard about a beginning teacher who got knocked up by a senior boy. It ruined her career and caused all kinds of trouble in school. The student body felt sorry for the teacher and took it out on the woman who tried to replace her."

"A schoolroom is such a volatile place. And we have to be so careful with those young minds that are still forming. I hope I can be a good influence."

"You already are, Jean. I hear a lot of favorable remarks about you from parents. You know they are simply reflecting what they've heard their children say about you."

Jean chewed her lip. "Just so the administration is favorable, also."

"I know that Cramer is hard to read sometimes, but I think he supports you."

"Yes, and sometimes that can be a scary thing."

Jean started the 16 mm. film projector on rewind and turned on the light switch, then moved to the front of the classroom so she could be heard over the noise of the projector. "So, what did you think of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Josh?"

Josh shifted and blinked in the normal light. "It's a pretty story meant to scare the girls so they'll hug guys for protection."

A titter of laughter rippled through the classroom.

"Perhaps," Jean mused. "And that has its purpose, too. It's listed under female wiles. Don't go exposing all of our secrets, Josh." More laughter was heard. "But, sometimes, we're all a little frightened by strange noises, especially at night. Logic and reason can take a backseat in the dark. Then we begin to wonder about things that go bump in the night. Lisa?"