Chapter 3: Happiness

After they toasted marshmallows and watched the embers of the fire die out, they sat around in the dark and sang old, nostalgic songs. The strains of "Shine On, Harvest Moon" and "Sweet Adeline" wafted through the pines as Ron huddled next to Jean, and they held hands. Later, he kissed her goodnight at the cabin door and left for Canton.

"This was a good evening for everybody."

"Hmm? Oh, hi, Daddy. You're still awake?"

"Not for long, Jean. Your mother is rinsing out a few things, so I'm resting a few minutes in this easy chair."

Jean grinned. "You know what we've always said: Even if a tornado was coming, Mother would have to stop and rinse out a few things."

"Yes, the house might blow away, but everything would be clean."

They laughed.

"I'm glad you were able to be here tonight, Jean."

"Me, too. This whole weekend has been like a steadying anchor for me. I'm having to adjust to a whole lot of new situations at Woodstock."

"Are you starting to get it straightened out yet?"

"A little. It's difficult, but I think I'm going to love it."

"I'm glad to hear that. I've been worried."

"I know you have, and I thank you for your concern." She stifled a yawn. "Now, you'll have to excuse me. I'm turning in, Daddy. It'll be wonderful sleeping in the woods again and listening to the waves slap up on the beach. See you in the morning."

"Goodnight, kitten. Glad you're home."

"I had a great weekend," Craig said as he and Jean drove back to Woodstock late Sunday afternoon. "Sorry I didn't go to church and eat dinner with you today, but my Aunt Cora finally put her foot down. She said I'd come to visit her, but she had hardly seen me at all, so I spent time with her."

Jean laughed. "We figured as much."

"I enjoyed meeting your family, Jean."

She glanced at him sideways. "Especially one of them?"

He grinned. "You can hitch a ride home with me any weekend you want. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time in Canton. I like Brenna a lot."

"I'm glad. I think you're both lucky."

"Last night reminded me of fun my family used to have together. Now, with the older ones married and some of them living a distance away, we can barely get together for holidays. Mom says soon it'll get worse with the next generation getting older. We already have problems with in-law obligations."

"As it should be. The other sides want their families all together, too. At least my folks never had the long distance problem. They grew up about twenty miles apart, but both graduated from Canton. My cousins are getting scattered, though. Daddy says that soon the family will be getting together only for weddings and funerals, and it will be a miracle if everyone makes it then."

"I guess that happens in families. Children of first cousins hardly ever meet each other, let alone know each other."

Jean frowned. "That means that my grandchildren and Brenna's will barely recognize each other."

Craig laughed. "You've got to get those grandchildren first!"

Jean smiled. "I did get the cart before the horse, didn't I? As the Bible says,
everything in its right season."