Volume 3 - Ch.1 Luxury Cruise Ship

The world stretching before my eyes was in utter chaos.

Countless buildings that once seemed lively were now crumbling, broken, and engulfed in flames.

The chaotic screams of numerous people filled the air.

Screaming, falling, being killed, and dying.

The amount of flowing blood was so excessive that everywhere was pervaded with a distinct smell of iron and the unmistakable stench of death, making it impossible to breathe.

I observed such a scene from my current "base" - or what could barely be called a filthy ruin.

...How boring.

A faint emotion expressed my thoughts. I used to consider despair as something unknown, but after witnessing it countless times, it had become easier to predict.

In the end, what she said was only temporary.

I already knew that. But I had hoped for a change.

Once again, I recognized what I truly desired.

I decided to start searching for a new base to find a place for tonight's meal.

The fact that the whole world had been engulfed in despair and plunged into chaos did not concern me.

I possess "luck," so I won't die. I can survive until my natural life span, enduring harsh conditions like living on a deserted island every day.

As I walked a little distance from my previous location, I saw a city, so I entered it without any particular caution.

The streets were filled with collapsed bricks, several dead bodies scattered around, and walls stained with discolored blood.

I could see what seemed to be a bustling shopping district extending along a wide road. There were so many tall buildings that I couldn't judge their numbers at a glance.

However, both of them were in a state of severe damage.

Though it might have been a lively place once, it was difficult to imagine it had been until I stopped walking.

A few minutes later, I found a place where "luck" had left some food behind.

It was a well-lit area, probably a department store that had been altered by human hands.

The moment I stopped, I instinctively dodged to the side.

"!? ...Who are you?"

As I stopped, a person who had been hiding in the shadows closed the distance between us in an instant and swung a bamboo sword down on me.

A large cloud of dust rose from where the sword struck the ground. In an instant, I understood that if it had hit me, it would have been the end.

The perpetrator was a woman with exposed chest wrapped in a white special attack suit stained with red in places, resembling a kendo practitioner.

She showed surprise at her failed "first strike," but quickly returned to an emotionless expression.

She's not sane.

Indeed, the bright red pupils visible through her glasses were swirling with multiple whirlpools, as if they were inhaling something messy.

"Are you one of the remnants of despair? You must be the hitman with talent in kendo," she said.

"...What do you know about me?" I asked.

"Nothing."

Ignoring her lack of interest, I headed towards the pile of food.