Interlude 2 - A Special Day for Ibuki Mio

Birthday.

It's an annual event that marks the day a person was born in the real world, a necessary requirement once a year. Some people are surrounded by many others and celebrate with joy, while others spend it like any other normal day. I, of course, belong to the latter group.

But I do admire the former.

Since I have few friends, I can't experience the excitement that those popular people radiate, known as "yokya" in general terms.

Why am I thinking about such things?

Because today, July 27th, is my birthday.

Summer vacation has started, and the heat of midsummer has finally arrived. On days like this, it feels nice and comfortable to spend the whole day in the dormitory. However, it's not good for my health, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

As I ponder such trivial matters, I nibble on a slice of bread and absentmindedly watch the morning news as time passes by. My schedule for today is already set, although it doesn't differ much from yesterday or any other day. It has become a routine, a predictable flow of events.

First, I will go alone to the movie theater and watch a film before 9 a.m. Then, I'll have lunch and watch another movie. After returning, I'll study, have dinner, and then have some free time.

Yes, it's a remarkably fulfilling yet lonely day. But my inner cry of dissatisfaction as a non-real life enthusiast is meaningless. No matter how lonely I feel, reality won't change. However, the truth is that I am content with this fulfilling life.

Now, since time is passing, I should start preparing to go to the movie theater. I undress to take a shower and rinse off my sweaty body. I'm left with only my underwear on top and a pair of shorts as sleepwear. Since I have only one female friend, I don't know what kind of clothes other girls wear to cope with the heat. But I assume there aren't many. There's no basis for this assumption, though.

As I take a shower, I can't help but think that I wouldn't want to be seen dressed like this by Shiina, my only female friend at this school. After I finish showering, I dry and style my hair. I apply just a little bit of makeup, even though I don't have any plans to meet anyone. It's just a precautionary measure in case something unexpected happens.

While thinking about what to wear today, I choose among several summer outfits in my closet. One particular outfit catches my eye. It's the one I picked half-forcefully when I went shopping with him. It brings back memories of his excellent sense of style that both impressed and irritated me.

I decide on the outfit and prepare to leave my room. I check if I have everything I need and then head outside. Ah, it's hot... Suppressing the immediate desire to return to my room, I take a step outside. I use the elevator to go down to the first floor. Since it's a shared space, the air conditioning is working well. I feel a sense of liberation, as if I have been freed from hell.

"Sorry for the wait! Did you wait?"

"I didn't wait, Kushida-chan!"

"Come on, Ike. You're always late, and yet you arrived before me."

"Hey, don't you know that's just a given?"

"Hehehe, you two are always entertaining!"

That blond girl is Kushida Kikyou from Class D. It's impressive that she can hang out with someone so blatantly infatuated. I genuinely admire her ability to handle such situations.

The other students around us are probably also from Class D. As I observe them while walking, three more join the group, making it quite a large gathering. But I don't feel particularly envious. It's not jealousy either. Handling such a large group of people would surely be mentally exhausting, so they must be struggling. I direct a polite gaze toward them.