Chapter One Hundred + One - Losing Hope

Sooooooo..........

Mary was in Alexandria.

Then Beta and some skins were in Alexandria.

Mary drew Beta out of Alexandria.

Beta ran off when the people ambushed them.

Daryl found Alpha when in the search for another opening to the cave.

They fought.

And now they both lie bleeding on the ground of a warehouse, unable to move.

"Can you see beyond the darkness into the light?" Alpha asked as she stared off at the ceiling, blood oozing from her many wounds.

"No." Daryl answered, eyes fluttering as his own blood escaped.

"I'm tingling with joy as I see the ones who broke me all around us, standing there." She said, loopy, "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for making me strong. Pain made me. Pain made you. Pain made my Lydia."

"You lost her." Daryl coughed, "You drove her away. 'Cause you didn't love her."

Alpha's anger returned, "What did you say? What did you say, boy?" She tried to stand but was too weak, "I can't hear you. I'm all ears."

"M-My-" Daryl wheezed, "M-My boy. My Hedley."

"Ah, yes. That sweet tall one... the one with the boyfriend." Alpha laughed before coughing, "He was a special one, wasn't he? Did pain make him too?"

"No." Daryl breathing was hoarse, "Just love. H-He's made from Kindness... a-and love. Nothing like us. He's known pain... but that didn't make him." He lost consciousness.

Lydia then came into Alpha's view. She reached for her mother's hand.

"Are you really here?" Alpha whispered.

"Yes, Mama."

"Don't call me that. You know better. You came home." She then turned serious, "I am you, and you are me."

Lydia shook her head, a tear falling down her cheek, "No. I'm my own person. Mama-"

"You're ready, baby." Alpha said, wheezing, "I made sure you're ready. They're waiting for you to lead. They're waiting."

"I'm not here for them. I'm not here for you." She looked to see Daryl on the other side of the room, "I'm looking for my brother."

Alpha gave a little chuckle, "They're human. Not perfect. Just human."

"I don't want perfect. I want family."

"Lydia-"

Lydia detached from her mother and stood.

"Goodbye, Mama."

Alpha closed her eyes and Lydia was gone.

***

Daryl woke up against a tree, Lydia looking at him while crouching at his feet.

"L-Lydia?"

She rushed to get him some water and he gulped it gratefully.

"What are you doing here?"

"Carl told me what happened. I came to get Hedley."

Daryl sighed, biting his lower lip.

"You haven't found him?"

He shook his head.

Lydia's eyes watered, hands hitting her thighs. She started to rock from side to side.

"How long I been asleep for?" Daryl asked, trying to keep himself together.

"Most of the day."

"And you were just out here?"

"Yeah." She said, "Just watching you."

"Well... that's not creepy at all."

"Sorry."

Daryl just hummed, taking another drink of water before asking, "Did you kill her?"

Lydia paused then answered with a question, "If it was your father, could you have?"

Daryl didn't respond.

Lydia then started to cry, "I want Hedley."

He weakly reached for her and she crawled into his lap so she could cry into his neck. He rubbed her back soothingly.

"I just want him back!" She sobbed.

Daryl rocked her side to side, tears gathering in his own eyes, and whispered, "Me too."