Chapter One hundred + Three - What Is Lost Will Be Found

Fresh air.

Sucking it in was like ecstasy.

Magna came out from the small hole first, blood covered her head as it dripped down her neck and shoulder. She reached in to grab an unconscious Connie, hurling her up and out of the cave. She was covered in dirt and had a wound on her forehead and temple. A big gash, open and already bruising.

Hedley was last, he had pushed Connie out and when it was his turn to wiggle through, he was panting. His hair drenched with sweat as his own dirty face revealed no serious injuries - just cuts and bruises. 

"We need to get her out of here." Magna said, eyeing the woods around her for any others.

Hedley quickly placed a finger over his lips, shushing her before signing, 'Stay quiet. We don't know if they're close.'

Magna nodded. Hedley lifted Connie into his arms, holding her close as Magna led the way through. It didn't take long to spot a Whisperer.

It was Beta and three others.

Magna turned to him, 'What do we do?'

He put Connie in Magna's arms before taking off his crossbow to count the bolts he had. 'You are going to take Connie back to Alexandria.'

Magna shoot her head.

'Yes. Listen to me.'

Magna did, wide eyed with disbelief.

'You are going to get my Dad. We know where the other horde is. The other Whisperers are mixed in them. Alpha is vulnerable. We can end this.'

Magna shook her head, using one hand to point at him. 'And you?'

'I'm going to distract Beta.' He looked at Connie, concerned for her but didn't let it affect him. He had to put on the mask. 'Get her back safe.'

He didn't let her argue anymore. He had three bolts left, the others broken, and he quickly strapped his crossbow back on his back before climbing the tree they were at. For a big guy, he was very stealthy. It left Magna and Connie at the bottom.

Quickly, Hedley went to the next tree then the next all the while Beta was talking to the other Whisperers.

"Alpha is getting impatient." Said one.

"She is waiting for sundown until we can fight." Explained Beta.

"Why not just go now?" Said another.

"We need to wait. Our Horde isn't in motion yet. The rest of us are there, getting them ready." Beta growled, "You better not be questioning our Alpha."

"We're not, sir."

"No, sir."

"We would never."

"Good." Beta huffed, "I'll tell Alpha to-"

His sentence was interrupted by an arrow flying through the air and landing into Whisperer number one. She fell dead quickly.

The others were on high alert. Hedley dashed to the next tree and the next, reloading his bow, aiming and firing. Whisperer number two was down.

Beta took one of the bolts and examined it. "Dixon." He muttered.

Just then the third and final bolt flew through the air and all that was left was Beta.

"Come out!" Beta ordered, snapping the bolt between his fingers.

Hedley jumped from his hiding spot, landing gracefully a few feet from Beta.