Chapter Forty - Nine - Bloody Tears

((Notes : This is short but its emotional... so.. enjoy :3)))

Night came surprisingly quickly.

Judith had woken up some time ago and Hedley kept her entertained by humming tunes and sharing a tangerine he forgot he had in his pocket with her. She did make some noise when she needed a new diaper so Hedley quickly took the soiled diaper off her and had to risk her being without one as he had nothing else. He did use a leaf to clean up as best he could but with no wipes or supplies, his solutions were limited.

Hedley watched as Rick and the group suddenly stopped, Sam not moving. He looked as if he was crying. Then, in just a second, walkers attacked him and were on him. Blood poured as he screamed, still holding onto his mother's hand.

Merle looked away, swallowing thickly as the boy died.

Jesse then screamed, watching her son get eaten right in front of her. Carl and Rick were tugging her, trying to get her to leave but she was distraught. And soon, she also became walkers' midnight snack. Rick had to chop her hand off of Carl as her grip solidified when she died. Merle took Carl and pulled him up when he lost his balance.

Hedley pulled Judith into his neck, rocking her as she whimpered when hearing the earth shattering screams.

Then Ron picked up a gun, clocked it and held it up at Rick.

He spoke but Hedley couldn't hear what he said.

But that didn't matter as Michonne took her sword and slammed it into Ron's chest. In shock, his arms flailed and his grip pulled the trigger. A loud bang. But the bullet didn't hit its target.

Ron's body fell and became walker meat.

Merle glanced up and when he saw Carl, he cursed, looking horrified.

Carl turned round, in shock, and faced Rick. Blood was all over his face, his eye missing, the stray bullet completely disfiguring the boy. Carl spoke, "Dad?" then dropped to the floor.

Hedley couldn't help the scream he let out. Merle and Michonne looked towards the tree he was in and watched for a moment as Hedley sobbed and screamed. Some walkers were drawn to the noise and started making their way towards him and Judith.

Rick picked up his unconscious son and with Michonne and Merle in front, slicing any walker that was in their way, they ran towards the clinic in a panic.

They made it to the clinic and Rick placed Carl on the gurney and watched as Denise ordered everyone around her and tended to Carl's wounds.

"This is a gunshot?"

"Handgun. Close range."

"Please save him." Rick pleaded, "Please."

"That's gonna draw them here." Spencer said.

"I need light." Denise argued. "Michonne, towel. Hold it here. Okay, we need to keep pressure on the wound. I'll go in and sew up any lacerations."

"I need to go get ma nephew!" Merle said, looking at Rick, "He's out there with your baby girl. We need to get them."

Rick nodded, "I-I've got a plan."

"A good one?" Michonne asked.

Rick shrugged, "It's the only one I've got."

Merle nodded, "Well, we'll take it. Let's go."

Rick, Michonne, Merle, Aaron, Spencer and Heath were suddenly outside, forming a circle, all fighting off the walkers.

Merle was looking for an opening to get through and to Hedley but it was packed tight.

"I can't get through!"

"Just keep going!" Michonne shouted, swinging her weapon like a madwoman on a mission.

All the while, Hedley was holding a crying Judith. Walkers were at the tree stump, reaching up for them, their desperate moans filling the night.

Hedley needed to move. He took off the bedsheet stained with guts and made sure Judith was secure before swinging over to the next tree. The baby at his chest roared with fright but Hedley kept going. The walkers followed his movements but lucky for him, he was faster. Going from tree to tree, branch to branch. He heard gunshots, yelling, groaning, grunting. He saw Rick and his group in a circle, fighting. He also saw Enid and Maggie on top of the watchtower.

Machine guns were suddenly heard too and when Hedley heard Abraham's voice, he breathed a sigh of relief, a sob clawing his throat.

"Can you get the gate? Appreciate it, pal."

The second half of their group were back. Daryl was back.

Rosita, Eugene, Tara, Morgan and Carol joined in Rick's group, killing walkers left and right.

Hedley made it to the opening of the gate, walkers still following him. He needed to get somewhere safe. Judith's screaming had now turned into exhausted whimpers and so he thought it was clear for him to climb up higher into another tree, sinking into the thick grooves of the branches, rubbing the baby's back soothingly. He could hear the walkers shuffling below but luckily they couldn't see him and Judith was quiet enough to not be heard as the gunfire and chaos inside Alexandria was enough to drown it.

Suddenly a fire was lit and the walkers were absorbed by it. Like moths to a flame they went to, and in, it.

More and more were fighting for this to end. Even residents of the town, those who've never held a gun before, stood up to fight.

Fighting to survive.

Fighting for Alexandria.