Chapter Thirty - Seven - Long Road Walk

Eugene lied, Beth's dead and Tyreese died when they went to Noah's hometown in the hopes of finding salvation.

Now, three weeks later, they were on the road. No car, no food, no hope.

Hedley's face was free from stitches but he was still healing, sore whenever he smiled or used his facial muscles. But at least the scabbing had stopped itching.

Hedley was beside Carl, crossbow in hand as he scanned the trees that surrounded them.

"We're not at our strongest. We'll get 'em when it's best. High ground, something like that. They're not going anywhere." Rick said to Daryl, holding Judith, "It's been three weeks since Atlanta. I know you lost something back there."

Judith started fussing. Daryl noticed, "She's hungry."

"She's okay." Rick said, trying to believe his own words, "She's going to be okay."

"We need to find water, food."

"We'll hit something in the road. It's gonna rain sooner or later."

Daryl hummed, "I'm gonna head out. See what I can find."

"Hey, don't be too long." Rick warned and Daryl just left.

Hedley watched him with a frown. It's been a while since Daryl spoke more than three words to him and Hedley felt like he was losing him.

Hedley looked at Merle, who just shook his head.

Carl nudged him. Hedley looked at him.

"Wanna give Maggie the thing we found?"

Hedley took out his notebook and wrote something. 'You do it. I'm gonna go find Daryl'.

Carl nodded, "Be careful."

Hedley nodded back then dashed into the woods. Rick and Merle called after him but he didn't stop, determined to see the man who he considered his father.

He followed Daryl's tracks, eyes alert all around him.

It took a few minutes but he found the hunter smoking a cigarette, leaning against the tree.

He was crying, head hung low as he puffed the smoke from his lips.

Hedley watched him for a second, heart squeezing in his chest. But when Daryl turned the cigarette in his fingers and pressed it into the skin of his hand, the skin sizzling, Hedley went to him, knelt down and took the cigarette out from his hands and threw it.

Daryl growled, "What you doin' here, kid?"

No answer.

Daryl scoffed, "Not respondin'? Typical. What else is new?! Huh?!" His volume turned up, anger flustering his cheeks, "What do you want from me, Hedley?! Ya want me to sing you songs? Read ya bedtime stories? Hold ya when ya have bad dreams? Well, fuck that! This whole life is a bad dream! Everyone we love will die! Merle, Carl, Rick, Judith-" Daryl's throat closed, tears falling once more, "W-We will lose--" Tears turned to full on sobbing, his shoulders shaking with defeat. Daryl looked at his son, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Hedley hugged his father, arms wrapping around his neck as Daryl cried into Hedley's chest.

After they separated, they sat there for a bit.

Hedley took out his flipbook. 'We have to keep fighting'.

Daryl frowned, "What for?"

'For all who we've lost... Or else their deaths mean nothing'.