Chapter Fifty - Two - Jesus Christ

"She needs a name." Carl said, holding Hedley's millipede.

They were in Carl's room, it was dark and should be asleep but couldn't.

Hedley thought for a moment then said, "Rosie."

"Rosie? Why Rosie?"

Hedley shrugged, only knowing that he liked the name.

Carl smiled, looking back at the bug in his hand, "Rosie. I like it."

They suddenly heard a noise coming from the hallway. Footsteps.

Carl handed Rosie to Hedley, taking his gun and going out. Hedley put Rosie in his pocket, staying close behind Carl with his crossbow aimed.

They saw a man sitting on the stairs.

Carl put the gun to the man's head, "What the hell are you doing in our house?"

"I'm, uh, sitting on the steps looking at this painting, waiting for your mom and dad to get dressed." The man turned to them, "Hi, I'm Jesus."

Suddenly, Rick came out, half naked with Michonne behind him. Hedley raised his eyebrows at them while Carl frowned.

"Carl, hey, um -"

Also, Daryl, Glenn and Maggie came up the stairs, guns drawn.

Rick lifted his hands up at his group, "It's-- it's okay."

Jesus looked at Rick, "We've gotta talk."

****

Everyone was around the dining table, eyes on Jesus.

Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Carl, Hedley, Maggie, Glenn and Abraham. Abraham and Daryl were the only ones standing.

Rick spoke up, "You said we should talk. So let's talk." Jesus just smirked. "So, how'd you get out?"

"One guard can't cover two exits or third floor windows. Knots untie and locks get picked. Entropy comes from order, right?"

"Right." Daryl growled.

"I checked out your arsenal." Jesus continued, "I haven't seen anything like that in a long time. You're well-equipped, but your provisions are low. Very low for the amount of people you have. 54?"

"More than that." Said Maggie.

"Well, I appreciate the cookie. My compliments to the chef."

"Yeah, she ain't here." Daryl said.

"Look, we got off to a bad start. But we're on the same side-- the living side. You and Rick had every reason to leave me out there, but you didn't. I'm from a place that's a lot like this one. Part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with. I took your truck because my community needs things, and both of you looked like trouble. I was wrong. You're good people. And this is a good place. I think our communities may be in a position to help each other."

Hedley felt Rosie escape his pocket and quickly scooped her up before she fell. Michonne saw this and tried to cover her laugh with a cough.

"Do you have food?" Glenn asked Jesus.

"We've started to raise livestock. We scavenge, we grow. Everything from tomatoes to sorghum."

"Tell us why we should believe you." Rick interrogated.

"I'll show you. If we take a car, I can take you back home in a day, and you can all see for yourselves who we are and what we have to offer."

"Wait." Maggie spoke, "You're looking for more settlements. You mean you're already trading with other groups?"

Jesus leaned back in his chair, smiling, "Your world's about to get a whole lot bigger."

A silent pause hung over the room.

That was until Abraham spoke up, looking at Hedley, "Does anyone else see the kid cuddlin' a big ass bug or am I trippin'?"

****

A group was getting together to go to where Jesus' group was.

Daryl was checking the Rv's underhood when Denise came up to him.

"Here." She offered him some cake wrapped in a bag, "Homemade oat cake. Complex carbohydrates, omega-3s."

"Nah, I'm good." Daryl said, wiping the oil off his hands, "We're gonna make a pit stop. I'll pick up something then."

"Like rabies?"

"Is this 'cause I tried to get you that stuff?"

"Yeah. And you remind me of someone I used to know."

Daryl saw her looking sad so he took the cake and stuffed it in his pants pocket, "Well I hope it tastes better than it looks. 'Cause it looks like shit."

"Shit's still better than roadkill. Okay, maybe-- just eat it." She left.

Hedley went up to him.

"Ya ready?"

Hedley shook his head, "M-Me and C-Carl are staying here."

"You are?"

"We're k-keeping an eye on things."

Daryl grunted in acceptance, bringing his kid into a hug. "We'll be back as soon as we can, alright?"

Hedley nodded into his father's shoulder.

"And keep yourself safe."

"I-I will."

Daryl ruffled his hair when they pulled away.

"I love ya, Spider Monkey."

"I-I love you too, dad."

"And kid!"

Hedley turned to see Merle hanging out the Rv window, "No more bugs! Rosie no need any friends, alright?"

Hedley giggled, making a cross over his heart. That made Daryl laugh.

Meanwhile, Carl was talking to Rick.

"Look, I was gonna tell you about me and Michonne, but it just happened." Rick was holding Judith and she was waving at her brother with a gummy smile, "It just happened. Last night. This is-- this is different."

"It's cool." Carl smirked.

"All right." Rick nodded, a small blush covering his cheeks, "Well, get your stuff. We're going in three."

"No, I'm not coming." Carl said, "Someone's gotta stay back, keep this place safe. Me and Hedley's got it." He then shrugged, "A kid with a messed-up face probably wouldn't make the best first impression anyway."

"Hey." Rick turned serious, "Don't talk like that. Not only are you bringing yourself down but what if Hedley heard you say that?"

Carl sighed, nodding, "You're right. Sorry. It's just-"

"A lot to get used to. I know." Rick handed Judith over to his son. "Just remember, you and Hedley.. You're more than your scars. Alright?"

Carl hugged his sister to his side, smiling stiffly at his dad, "Okay, dad."

"I love you." Rick kissed Carl's forehead, patting the back of his neck, "And stay safe."

Hedley came over, smiling brightly at a babbling Judith.

"Love you too, dad." Carl said to Rick before nudging Hedley's shoulder, "We've got this."

"Yeah. I know you do."

"Let's chew up some asphalt!" Abraham yelled out, getting everyone inside the Rv.

Carl, Hedley and Judith watched them drive off and out of the gates. All waving goodbye.