Chapter Twenty - Eight - Touches

( Notes: TW - Gore + Carls SA scene :3 ) 

After hearing what happened, Carol was crushed, rocking a sleeping Judith. They were surrounding a fire, listening to it cackle.

"I should've been there." She whispered.

"Don't go runnin' your mind with pointless shoulda when ya coulda's." Merle said, poking the fire, "We just have to move forward."

"I was heading to Terminus when I found you."

"Terminus? What's that, some sort of puppet group?"

"It's meant to be a sanctuary for survivors." When Merle groaned, Carol smirked, "It's worth a shot. And we might find others of our group there. There are signs all over the place, there's a good chance one of them saw it and went there."

"Fine. It's-" Suddenly, Merle was interrupted by a dead squirrel being thrown at his feet. "What the-" He looked up and Hedley waved from where he was sitting in the trees. "Damn, kid. A lil' warning next time!"

Hedley giggled, jumping down to share the fire's warmth. Carol leaned his head down so she could kiss his crown, thanking him for the squirrel.

"Let me take a look at your wound, Hedley." She said, handing Judith over to Merle. "I'm sure Uncle Merle did his best, but you never know."

"Hey! I did a great job. It might need another cleanin' though."

Hedley sat down and leaned into Carol's gentle touch as she unwrapped the bandage on his head. His eye was bruised and swollen still but he did have a little bit of vision. His wound was deep, dried blood caking the area, the stitches sticking out. 

"I'm going to clean it up and keep the bandage off to get some air on it." She explained, reaching into Merle's bag to take out the first aid kit, opening up an alcohol wipe. When the woman cleaned the wound, Hedley started to rock back and forth. Carol didn't complain. She just took her time, letting him stim.

"You're gonna have one hell of a scar, lil' Dixon." Merle said, watching them.

"A warrior's wound." Carol said, dabbing the wipe over Hedley's cheek.

Hedley got out his cards, flipping through them until finding the one he wanted. 'Daryl'.

Merle sighed sadly, "I miss 'im too, kid."

Carol nodded in agreement, "Don't you worry about your dad, Hedley. We'll find him and he'll be so happy to see you."

Judith made a small noise in her sleep, her cheek squished on Merle's forearm as she dreamed. Hedley reached out a hand to stroke her hair.

"Best turn in for the night, Hedley." Carol said, rubbing his back soothingly.

The boy pointed to the trees, making Merle nod, giving him permission. Hedley bolted up one of the many trees that surrounded the little camp, settling his body in the heart of the branches, securing himself with a blanket he had in his backpack. The moon shone down on top of him, making spotted glows weave through the leaves.

It wasn't long until Hedley was asleep.

****

Daryl found the claimers pointing guns at Rick and Michonne.

"Joe!" He called, stopping them from pulling any triggers, "Hold up."

Rick and Michonne's eyes widened in shock, and in relief.

"You're stopping me on eight, Daryl." Joe said, unhappy.

"Just hold up."

One of the other men shouted out, "This is the guy that killed Lou, so we got nothing to talk about."

"The thing about nowadays is we got nothing but time." Joe nodded to the archer, "Say your piece, Daryl."

"These people, you're gonna let 'em go. These are good people."

"Now, I think Lou would disagree with you on that. I'll, of course, have to speak for him and all 'cause your friend here strangled him in a bathroom."

"You want blood, I get it." He dropped his crossbow, opening his arms up, "Take it from me, man. Come on."

"This man killed our friend. You say he's good people. See, now that right there is a lie. It's a lie!"

One of the claimers hit Daryl in the face.

"No!" Rick yelled.

"Teach him, fellas. Teach him all the way." Joe ordered.

"No!"

As the claimers started beating on Daryl, Daryl fighting back against all three of them.

Another one of the claimers found Carl hiding in the car, "Come here, boy." He pulled him out and threw him to the ground, a sick smile on his lips.

"Listen, it was me. It was just me!" Rick said, desperate, watching a middle-aged man saddle his son, knife to his throat.

"See, now that's right. That's not some damn lie. Look, we can settle this. We're reasonable men. First, we're gonna beat Daryl to death. Then we'll have the girl. Then the boy. Then I'm gonna shoot you and then we'll be square."

"Let him go."

"Stop your squirming." Said the man on top of Carl, eyes roaming the boy.

"Let him go." Rick said again.

Joe laughed, making Rick headbutt him. The gun went off right next to his ear, making his hearing ring and distorted.

Joe and Rick began to fight but Rick was weak and dizzy, losing quickly. He saw the man on top of Carl begin to unbuckle his belt.

"Get away from him before I--"

Joe hit him, holding his exhausted body close so he could whisper in his ear.

"What the hell are you gonna do now, sport?"

Joe's smile was quick to disappear as Rick sank his teeth into Joe's throat, ripping it out. Blood sprayed and Joe's body collapsed in a heap of shocked horror.

Michonne took the gun from the claimer who was holding her and shot him in the head, shooting another that was beating on Daryl. Daryl hit another, finding new strength.

The remaining man held Carl to his chest, knife to his throat, "I'll kill him! I'll do it!"

Carl was crying, shaking, terrified.

"Let the boy go." Michonne ordered, gun aimed.

Daryl quickly got hold of a knife, stabbing the two that were beating on him in the heads, killing them.

Rick stepped forward, towards the man holding his son, holding a knife.

"He's mine."

The man let go of Carl, holding his hands up in surrender but Rick ignored it.

Michonne held onto Carl protectively as they both watched Rick disembowel the pervert.

So much blood soaked the soil that night.

And most of which were of the claimers.