Chapter Sixty - Two - Father, Son + Holy Hell

Maggie was on watch when she saw Rick and his small group head towards Hilltop. She rushed down to open the gates and greeted Rick, Michonne, Tara, Carl, Rosita and Daryl.

Rick hugged her tightly. "You're okay?"

"I'm okay." She said, pulling away, "The baby's okay -- all of us."

"You were right, right from the start. You told us to get ready to fight. I didn't listen, and I couldn't. I can now."

She nodded and laughed when she was attacked by Daryl's bear hug. She held onto him and used a finger to brush hair from the archer's face.

"It's so good to see you." Daryl told her.

"You too." Maggie smirked, "And I've got a surprise for you." She turned and stuck her pinkies into the sides of her lips and whistled a tune.

Being called, Hedley came out from one house. He had on army trousers, a shirt with dragonflies on it and his new dino hat. He had Fletcher's knives strapped to his belt, along with a gun and a bag at his side.

Daryl gasped when seeing the kid, unable to truly believe it until he heard that voice. The voice of his son.

"Dad! Dad!" Hedley yelled, starting to run. "Dad!"

Daryl bolted to him and when he had Hedley in his arms, he swung him around easily. The father and son hugged and cried in one another's necks. The hug was intense as it was the safe feeling Hedley had been craving for the last couple of days. And with that safety, came the grief and the hurt and the fear that had been locked away in order to survive. Hedley let it all out at that moment, clinging to Daryl like he was a new-born, fingers clawing the fabric of his shirt. They fell to the ground, a huddle of emotion.

"Oh thank god. Fuck, Hedley. You scared me so much. I thought I'd never get to hold you again." Daryl whispered, "I'm so glad you're okay. How'd you get here?"

"I-I-" Hedley had trouble speaking, too overwhelmed.

Daryl rubbed his back soothingly, turning when he heard Maggie's voice as the group had gotten closer.

"He said he escaped Negan's bunker." She told them, "Said he killed two men and stole a bike and came straight here."

Daryl kissed his son's crown, "Such a badass! You're Uncle Merle would be proud."

Hearing the name of his uncle made a new round of sobs escape the boy, "M-Merle-" He whimpered and Daryl held him tighter, rocking him.

Carl was itching to have his turn and Daryl saw this and reached for the other boy. Carl turned to his dad for permission and when Rick nodded with a small smile, Carl knelt down and reached over to one of Hedley's hands.

Hedley opened his eyes to see who the new touch belonged to and gasped, "Carl!" Hedley let go of Daryl then jumped into Carl's chest, making the two boys fall to the ground. That made the adults laugh as the two hugged.

"I've missed you." Hedley whispered.

Carl smiled tearfully, whispering back, "I've missed you too."

Once everyone had calmed down and back on their feet, it was Michonne's turn to hug Hedley. He hummed happily, stimming when she gave him a kiss on the forehead.

"I'm so glad you're back, Bug." She said, "It wasn't the same without you."

"You got that right." Rick came in, hugging the boy too, "You're a big part of the family, Hedley. Without you, it just didn't feel right."

Hedley smiled at his family, then lit up, remembering something. He went into his bag and took out Rick's gun. The gun he found on Joey's person when escaping Negan's group. He gave it to Rick and watched in amusement as the man examined it with a smile and putting it into his belt.