"Meredith"

She said it in a sing -song tone, almost amusement but not quite, for in her amusement I could hear the lust, the want, and the wonder.

I didn't speak as my hands graciously ghosted upon her feet, pressing open-mouthed kisses to her ankles. From there, I worked my way up. My fingers delighted in the sensation of her skin against mine, and I could feel the shivers running down my spine as my lips made their way up one leg, and then back down the other.

My mission was to kiss every single inch of her, to feel her skin in my mouth. Every single inch of her was mine, even if just for a night.

Just for one night, she was mine, and just for one night, I was hers.

~

I awoke the next morning to the sunlight breaking through the blinds. Rays of broken yellow coloured the room, lighting up the disheveled duvet that laid on top of us.

Unlike the first time I woke up with her, she was actually awake. When I looked up from where I lay, my head on her chest and our legs intertwined, I was met with a smile and two sleepy eyes.

"Good-morning"

For a moment or two, I had to remember that I was still breathing; that this wasn't a dream, I wasn't dead, and this wasn't heaven.

Though, it was the closest earthly thing to heaven I'd ever experienced.

"Morning" I replied, still studying her. For the first time since I'd met her, she was relaxed. Her face was completely calm, her eyes focused on me and her hand running up and down my back gently.

"Did you sleep okay?" She asked, reaching over with her free arm to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. Her own hair was a mess, one I'd readily created with my hands just mere hours before.

Still, she was beautiful.

"I did, yeah" I told her, smiling slightly. I could hear her steady, rhythmic heartbeat under my ear where I lay, so close to her I wouldn't be able to tell you where I ended and she began.

It was an odd feeling, to be held by her, but it was only odd in the sense that I wasn't expecting it.

I was almost expecting her to jump up like she'd been shot, like the first time we woke up together.

"Good, I'm glad. How's your hand?" She asks me, running the tips of her fingers down the smooth expanse of my arm. It felt nice, she felt nice.

"Oh, it's okay I think. It's not bothering me" I raised my hand to show her the bandage, which was still securely in place. "It doesn't hurt; you did a good job. I suppose medical school paid off" I told her in a lighthearted tone.

She laughed, and I felt the slight rumble of her chest underneath me. Her laugh made me smile and without even thinking about it, I turned my head upwards to kiss her lightly on the lips, unable to help myself.

"What was that for?" She asks, looking at me with a smile and a look in her eye. In that moment I couldn't quite place the look she gave me; looking back, I realize it was rooted between affection and adoration.

"You are the most gorgeous woman I've ever laid eyes on. I just needed to kiss you to make sure you are real"

"I think you should double check" she smirks, leaning in to kiss me this time. It only takes a moment before she's deepening the kiss, parting her lips slightly to taste my own.

"You're delicious" I say lowly, my mouth still so close to her own that I can feel her breath coming out in short, hot pants. Her lips, still swollen from last night, eagerly captured my own once again. This time, I felt her tongue lightly run against my bottom lip, coaxing my mouth open to feel my tongue against her own.