Chapter 16 - Youth with Ashton

The following Sunday, August 23rd, Mrs. Smith drove me to youth group, but decided to keep Kaely with her tonight. She wanted some time alone with her since she doesn't get much other than Thursdays.

I walked in, and there was Ashton, standing around and already making friends. Jean and Patrick called everyone into the living room. I sat down in the couch next to Ashton, and he smiled at me. I smiled back at him, then everyone began to introduce themselves.

In the past ten months, the youth group has gained two kids that come regularly. Jason is fifteen and goes to Meadowbank, Jasmine is seventeen and goes to Asquith. We lost a few of the eighteen year olds who graduated the past year, but we still had many kids.

Once we introduced ourselves, Ashton told us some stuff about him, but not much. He said that he has a younger sister named Lauren and a younger brother named Harry and his favorite movie is The Pursuit of Happyness.

When Ashton was done, the lesson started, and I soon had to go to the bathroom. I excused myself from the group, then when I came back I saw Ashton sitting there with his feet on my seat, where I was sitting before I left. He turned to see me and smirked. I just shrugged, walked over to him, then sat on his feet. He shot me a playful glare, and I stayed sitting on his feet.

---

When the lesson was over, we got snacks. I came back into the living room where Ashton still was, talking to a few people. I walked over to him and he grabbed one out of two cookies off of my plate.

"Thanks" he smirked.

"Um, you're welcome.." I said, confused at what just happened. Did he think I got a cookie for him? Or was he just being an ass?

I just walked away, ignoring what happened and talked to Piper, who was now fifteen. In the past ten months, she's become my friend and Kaely's friend, too.

"Hey, Chloe.. Where's Kaely?" She asked.

"Mrs. Smith has her tonight. She wanted to spend some time with her. She is her great-grandma, after all"

"Yeah. I get it. Also, is there something between you and he new kid, um, Ashton?"

"No.. He's usually nice to me, but he's just being an ass tonight"

"Oh. Okay. I thought there was something between you two?"

"Nope. We're just friends-ish? I guess. I don't know if we are even friends. We just know each other from school"

"Well, he seems to like you" she smiled.

"I don't know.. If he does, fine. If he doesn't, fine. I don't really care" but secretly, I did.