Chapter 1 - Prologue

February 7, 2008

My name is Chloe Elizabeth Walters. My birthday is September 5, 1994, and I am thirteen years old.

Ever since I was eight, my parents have been into drugs. They're so bad that I have to take care of myself. My aunt and uncle wanted to take me in since all of my grandparents are dead except for one she can't do anything, but my parents wouldn't sign the papers to turn custody over to them. They come over sometimes and see how I'm doing. They give me a little money for food. I walk to the local market every few days and get food. I cook for myself, and sometimes I get a treat if my aunt cooks for me.

I go to school at Richmond Middle School in Australia. I live in Sydney, and I take the bus to school. I have really nice teachers, but none of them know what I go through at home. None of them know my parents are on drugs or drink. None of them know I walk miles to the grocery store every so often for food.

We live in a small, banged up trailer without cable or anything. The most advanced technology I have is a phone. I have an old radio too, but it doesn't work very well.

I also try to make money for myself, but sometimes my parents take some of that money for their drugs and drinking. I do work around one of my neighbor's houses, and that pays a lot. She's an older lady and can't clean or mow the lawn or things like that very well, so I clean her house, mow her lawn, and weed her garden for her. I do that every Saturday, and she pays me well.

I do some work for other people around the neighborhood, and I make a lot of money. Only half of the money I make goes for food, and the others go towards a fund I had for college or something really important like that.

It feels good to do my own work and make my own money, but it's hard sometimes. I don't have the time or money to do sports or extracurricular activities in school.

About friends, I have two, but they aren't true friends. They don't understand me, and they don't know what it's like for me. I don't even tell them what goes on at home. Sometimes I go to their houses and their parents notice something about me, but they don't say anything.

I remember the day my life got turned around. Not for better, but for worse. The day Jacob Thomas came into my life. That was the worst day ever...

Jacob Thomas is a boy three years older than me. He's sixteen. I know him, but only because he's very popular. A lot of people say he drinks sometimes. People tell him he's going to end up in jail for whatever he's doing. He has had lots of girlfriends in the past, and they all ended because he was almost forcing sex upon them.

I can't stand people like them. I don't trust him or his friends, because I know that they smoke and some drink, probably including Jacob.

As I've said, I can't trust him for anything. That was my single biggest mistake, though: trusting him.

~

Add me on snapchat! @irwinxx5sos