Chapter 2 - Jacob Thomas

February 9, 2008

Today was a good day. I went to Mrs. Smith's house (the older lady I work for) then went home with my 75 dollars she paid me every week. I put half of that in my jar for food, and the other half of it I put in my jar for college. I counted the money for college, and I had about 4,375 dollars. I had been working for Mrs. Smith since the beginning of 2006 and she gave me 75 dollars each week, and that adds up. The other money is just from working for other people.

I changed the sheets on my bed after washing the sheets. I vacuumed a little bit, even though I knew that if my parents came home that night that the carpet would be ruined once more. I really didn't care. I had nothing else to do.

I walked into the kitchen to the small sink, washing the dishes. This was my normal Saturday, cleaning and working. It may seem like a strange Saturday for a thirteen year old, but I have to do it, or else the house gets really dirty. I also have OCD that I have to clean the house at least once a week, or I get mad since I can't do it.

Suddenly, the phone rang loudly, interrupting me from cleaning. I walked to the cord phone we had in the kitchen. I answered it, not knowing who it was since we didn't have caller ID.

"Hello?" I asked, wondering who it was.

"Hey!" He said, "Chloe, right?" It was an older boy. I knew his voice. He was from my school, but he was in high school. I recognized him as Jacob Thomas.

Jacob Thomas: the one boy in school that everyone knows and that all the girls like. He is kind of attractive, but I've heard that he can be abusive. With the last girlfriend he had, there were rumors that he would hit her, but I don't know if they were true or not.

"Yeah, and you're Jacob, right?"

"Yep! I was wondering if you wanted to come to my house tonight? Would your parents mind?"

"Um.. I don't know. You're three years older than me.. Let me check," I paused and covered the microphone of the phone up, then mumbled some this to make it sound like I was talking to my parents, "they said it's fine!"

"Great! I'll see you around eight, then?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess" I stuttered. Eight? Why that late? I was confused on the late time he had set for us to meet. Was he planning for me to come over then I end up staying the night? No. That won't happen. He'll try it, but I won't allow it. I'll walk home in the pitch dark without a flashlight before I stay at his house overnight. For all I know, he could rape me in my sleep.

"Okay.. See you then" he said, inwhich his voice sounded kind of low, but I ignored it and hung up.

I had no idea why he wanted me to come over. He was three years older than me, why did he seem like he liked me? Maybe he did, but I know he's a player. He just uses girls. I feel bad for the girls he uses. I don't want to be one of those girls. I was not going to be one of those girls. If he tried anything, I wouldn't let him. He is not using me the way he uses other girls, or so I thought..