Chapter 12 - Prison

Mrs. Smith and I just came from the doctors to find out the gender of the baby. It's a girl! For a while, I've been planning to tell Jacob about the baby. I don't really want to see him though. Today, anyway, we're going to visit Jacob and tell him. I don't know how comfortable he'll be with being around me, since I'm the one who got him arrested, or Mrs. Smith because they don't talk much.

"you nervous?" Mrs. Smith asked me on the way to the jail.

"A little. I'm nervous to talk to him," I admitted.

"I bet.. And you probably won't look at him the same way as you did before." 

"I won't." 

We pulled up into the jail parking lot and walked in the visitors door. We walked in, and Jacob was sitting behind glass. His eyes widened when he saw Mrs. Smith, and when he saw my baby bump. He didn't make eye contact with me, and just looked down.

Mrs. Smith and I sat down in the seats, and I got the phone out. Jacob grabbed his phone and said, "I wasn't expecting to see you here, grandma.."

"Well, I am really good friends with Chloe, and I came to support her" she answered.

"yeah, I, um, see that you're pregnant, Chloe?" He said, still not making eye contact.

"Yes. I am" I said calmly.

"It's mine, isn't it?" He said, still looking down, but running his hands through his hair.

"Yup, and congrats, it's a girl" I told him.

"A girl?" He said, finally making eye contact with me.

"Yeah. A girl, but you're coming nowhere near her. She's my daughter and I have to protect her from people like you..."

"You mean, her own father?"

"Yes, Jacob. Her.. father" it was hard to say.

"Chloe.. Prison has changed me. I've only been in here a few months, but it's changed me. Give me a chance, please? Can't I be in my daughter's life? Please.."

"Jacob.." I sighed, "I don't know.." I paused, "how long are you in prison?"

"Four and a half years with parole.." He said, smiling when he said parole. The judge was so stupid. It should be longer..

"Then you can wait to see her until then. I'm not bringing her in here"

"Then at least send me a letter with a picture of her when she's born" 

"Fine. I will keep updating you, but I'm not promising you that you'll be able to see her in person once you're out!"

"That's fine with me. I just want to be able to see pictures of her. That's enough," I was surprised at how different he was and if it was real.

"Okay. You have yourself a deal. See you later"

"Bye Chloe" he smiled as we left.

"that went better than I thought!" Mrs. Smith exclaimed when we got into the car.

"Mhm.." I said, my head falling. I couldn't believe what I just agreed to with Jacob..

~

Hey guys! I haven't said anything in a while! There will be a huge time skip to the next chapter, and many other time skips. This story needs to get going! Love you guys!

-Lizzie<3