[32]

"Arthur."

Arthur looked at you and smiled.

"Yes, Y/n?"

You held his hand while you looked at the ground, not wanting him to see your embarrassed face.

Your heart was pounding really fast, and you were feeling things you had never felt with anyone else before.

It was just like in the books...

"Can you visit again tomorrow? And the day after that, and... the day after that?"

Arthur looked at you a little surprised since you showed no interest in him about an hour ago.

What changed your mind?

He didn't know, but most importantly, this was all going well.

His parents would surely be proud that he managed to become acquainted with the Princess or, now, fiance.

He was excited about what they would do.

Would they reward him?

Would they praise him?

Would they finally say they 'love' him?

These questions excited him even more.

Finally, his parents would notice him, and he wouldn't be a shadow behind them.

Taking your hand and gently kissing it, he smiled back at you.

"Of course."

---

Arthur sat down in a random hallway of the castle, disappointed.

He told his parents everything, and they only said that he was expected to get close with his now fiance.

He understood that, but they didn't even spare a glance at him.

He spent so much time with you, and in return, all he got was an expectations list. He was so close to throwing a fit.

Getting up, Arthur walked for what felt like hours to get to the courtyard.

He finally made up his mind.

Here, he would practice sword skills and try to get stronger. Maybe one day, his parents would notice his hard work.

Maybe while he's at it, he could learn how to ride a horse.

Although he never liked the creatures since he found them intimidating, he would learn how to control one if it meant getting praised by his parents.

---

Day and night, Arthur would practice his sword skills. Even when he got blisters on his hand and was on the verge of passing out, he still continued.

Learning how to ride a horse was also no easy task since he kept panicking, which would cause the animal to panick.

This would end up with the boy on the ground, hissing in pain.

The only reason that he hadn't dropped dead yet was because of your mother. She usually brought him water and lunch.

"You should take a break, Arthur."

Arthur swung his wooden sword aggressively at the wooden pillar.

"I can't. I have to improve my skills first."

Your mother watched with worry evident on her face as Arthur continued to swing around her sword. There really was no getting behind this boy..

---