[8]

Getting enough sleep was a challenge at this point. You couldn’t even sleep a wink worrying about what tomorrow would bring. Soon, you probably would develop eye bags like Akuto, but worse based on the amount of sleep you were getting. 

In your cell, the only noise that could be heard was a few whispers from some guards in the next area over and the cackling sound of the fire from the lanterns. 

Akuto had been escorted to his room already, so you were wondering if he was getting any sleep either. He was pretty much knocked out when you were waiting for your aunt to arrive, but right now you weren’t so sure since he was wide awake the whole time you and your aunt were discussing important matters which led you to wonder… was he even sleeping in the first place? He woke up immediately when your aunt came, so was he faking it?

Feeling the now familiar nervousness bottling up inside of you, you secretly wished you had your favorite gem on you. Your uncle gifted it to you when you were younger before he died and you used it as a source of comfort after his death, but now that he and the gem are gone, you have nothing to rely on but yourself. 

Your mother knew how important that gem was to you, but she took it away from you and gave it to Addalyn instead. It was almost as if you had been deleted from their memory and Addalyn was only an improved replacement. Most likely, the people on the other side of the palace probably didn’t even realize you were gone. The only time they would remember you was the day of your execution..

You let out a shaky breath. The thought of that hurt out a lot since even though you didn’t treat people right in the past, it was because you didn’t know how to treat them right. You were only taught how to treat nobles, not peasants. 

Closing your eyes, you thought about this ‘prince’ you had never heard of. If this rumor about him being kind was really true, then could he save you and heal your heart? You knew that you were just being desperate, but at this point you didn’t care. 

Right now, you just wanted to feel and be loved at least one more time before the day of your execution. 

It was finally the next day and you struggled getting any sleep, but right now you were wide awake. 

Instead of the Head Maid waking you up,  it was a guard. You were woken up extra early to prepare for the arrival of the guest. 

Getting up and walking out of the cell area, you almost ran into this other maid. She was unsurprisingly panicking like everyone else was, but why was she trying to enter your cell? Looking down at her, you gave her a confused look, waiting for her to speak. 

“Uhm, this is for you, the princess had someone deliver it so you could wear it for later.”

This girl was acting as if she was confessing her love to someone since she literally looked everywhere besides your eyes and was holding up the uniform like she was gifting you a present. You tried to hold in your laugh as you took the uniform away from her. 

“Thanks..”
Walking past her, you looked at the newly made uniform in your hands. It was slightly nicer than the one you currently had, but it was still disappointing to look at. It had a few stripes of gold here and there and instead of it being the typical black and white uniform, it was all black with red. 

Trying to push past the maids and butlers without tripping on your feet, you thankfully made it to the bathroom without anything serious happening. 

Taking off your nightgown, you turned on the water in the bath and got in. This time you didn’t hold back with the amount of shampoo and soap you used. The Head Maid would usually scold you if you used too much, but right now you needed this, just for today.