XVII

"ah there she is!" my dad says when I walk down stairs.

I pinch my eyebrows together in confusion.

Noah's sat in a chair with one of my dad's guitars, "I was just telling Noah here that you also write and sing."

"oh." really dad? really?

"what kind of music do you play?" Noah asks looking at me with an unreadable look.

"oh uh I don't know, anything that just feels right?" I cringe at how I answer. I've never really talked about music with others, let alone my own music.

Noah smiles.

"Why don't you play us something, Ron?" my dad says using the nickname I've hated since he started calling me if after he watched Harry Potter.

my eyes widen slightly and my mouth opens like a fish in water.

"here, I even have your favorite guitar!" my dad pulls it out from behind the booth.

one thing about me is that I can never say no to my dad and right now I HATE IT.

my sweaty palms grab the instrument from his hands and I take a seat across from Noah on the couch.

my dad has a goofy grin on his face, while Noah sits there with a soft smile and a look in his eyes.

I adjust everything before taking a breath before asking my dad, "which song?"

"do the one we were last working on." he says taking another seat.

I nod my head and prepare myself to start the song.

"it's not fully finished, but here's the first few verses."

[this song is by Cassidi - if you hate me, say it]

"All I've done
Is talk you up
To everybody that I know.
Was hoping I
Could hide enough
To never have to let you go.
Building walls around the two of us
Somehow you always fucking ruin us
You lock me in until the windows break
And cut my feet,"

"I've been patient
So if you hate me
Just say it
I'm tired of waiting
So if you hate me
Just say it."

"I never cried
A single day
That you spent cursing me
I never tried
To breakaway
When you were hurting me
Building walls so high that I can't see
Somehow you always find a way to me
They're standing now
But I know they won't hold the weight for long,"

"I've been patient
So if you hate me
Just say it
I'm tired of waiting
So if you hate me
Just say it."

the words flow smoothly and I can't stop them. once the emotions of the lyrics form in the air, it's too late to take it back.

I don't look at either of them as I play and sing, too nervous to do so. especially once I finish.

"now that's my girl!" my father claps.

I look up and see the wide grin on his face, he's proud.

next to him, Noah's smile is about just as big.

"you're incredibly talented, your voice is insane." he says excitedly.

for the 100th time today, my cheeks flare up in a crimson shade but I can't knock the smile off my face.

——

it's getting late and Both Noah and I are getting ready to head to our respective homes.

"it was so nice to meet you, Noah." my mom says.

"it was nice to meet you too."

he has Harper by his side, she's in a leash this time.

"bye momma, I'll be back soon. I love you."

"I love you too! now both of y'all drive safely!"

we head out the door and to our cars.

"I might make you come help me in the studio some time." Noah jokes with a wide grin.

I knew Noah was in a band from when I helped with the poster design, but I didn't know he was the lead singer up until earlier with my dad.

"hmm maybe." I let out a small laugh.

"seriously though, you are really talented. can I ask why you never do much with it?"

"thank you, and I mean I guess I've always just enjoyed doing graphics more and performing really isn't a strong suit of mine. it's just a hobby I guess. I've ever really only shared that part of me with my parents and two others. I shrug.

Mark and Charolette.

we stop at my car in the driveway.

"really? well you're still great whether you perform in front of a crowd or not. nobody needs a crowd to be talented or to believe they are talented."

"what's it like?" I ask. "what's it like to perform in front hundreds of crowds?"

"honestly it's exhilarating but can definitely be very scary, especially when you're first starting. there's always those who love your music and performances. then there's those who don't. the positive always outweighs the negative, and at the end of the night it's just pure excitement. no nerves. just adrenaline and excitement." he says. "at the end of the night, you're doing what you love."

I offer him a sweet smile as he offers one back, "sounds pretty great, honestly. I think I just like graphics more though." I let out a soft laugh.

"do both." he shrugs with the smile still on his face.

I just shrug.

his phone rings and he soon picks it up.

the conversation is short and ends with Noah saying he's on the way.

"again I'm sorry about earlier with Harper, but it was nice talking to you again."

"no need to be sorry, and yeah. it was nice talking with you too. have a good night Noah."

"you do the same," he goes to walk to his car. "by the way, your moms cooking is amazing."

"yeah well she is a chef." I say with a laugh.

"seriously? can she cook for me everyday?"

I laugh at his joke, "maybe one day, goodnight Noah."

"alright, goodnight Weasley." he sends me a teasing wink.

"seriously!?" I groan which earns a loud laugh from him.