XVIII

the next weekend I spend at my parents, making music with my dad.

it's something we've always bonded over.

we are both currently figuring out the back track for my song "enchanted". it's taken us a few hours to get everything right, both of us playing different instruments, but mainly the guitar.

the computer helps with adding additional things we don't have but makes the song sound so much better. it's a tedious process but it's well worth it in the end.

he even adds his own vocals.

"ready to start recording, Ron?"

I nod my head and get up off the floor I was sitting on and head into his makeshift booth.

the one thing I love about my dad when it comes to music, he never pushes the meanings behind the songs. he's always been supportive, whether he knows the stories or not.

——

"hello?"

"Roni!" Bryan says enthusiastically.

"Bryan!" I mock back.

"whatcha up to?"

"nothing really, why?"

"come to the cookout tonight?" he asks.

"I don't know Bryan.."

"Roni, come tonight! the boys leave in a week, me with them!" Bryan begs over the phone.

Bryan was quickly taking place of my best friend as he never left me the fuck alone. not that I minded, it's nice to have someone like him as a friend.

it causes me to laugh, "Bryan, how do I know mark won't show up?"

"he won't, just trust me. it's only gonna be the boys and I and like 4 others, it's nothing big."

I think about it before letting out a defeated sigh, "okay I'll be there."

"YES!" he cheers loudly causing me to jump from the sound.

I haven't seen mark since the encounter at the house, Bryan doesn't know it happened. for all he knows I haven't seen him since the night I caught him cheating.

the call soon ends and I get up from the couch in my dads studio.

him and mom left a few hours ago to go do something. honestly I can't remember, but I text my mom letter her know I won't be here when they get back.

Im wearing a pair of baggy jeans, along with a big band tee. something comfortable and not too much.

being at my parents house, I don't do anything with my hair or makeup.

I put my shoes on, grab my stuff and then walk out the door.

nerves take over my body when I pull into the driveway of the house that was about 10 houses away from my parents. I don't know how I never noticed it.

I never liked these things, but maybe it's because of mark. and maybe without him, it'll be fun?

I don't even knock on the door before Bryan's ushering me inside, "hey - what on earth?"

"you were taking forever," he says dramatically. "come on, everyone's out back. would you like a drink?" gesturing to the abundance of alcohol on the counter.

I grimace at the question, "no I'll pass, but thanks."

he nods his head

he drags me out back and all head snap to us, 4 being the only familiar ones. the other 4, not a damn clue, one being a female.

"Roni, you know the boys. That's Matt, Steven, Jesse and then Rylan." he says gesturing to the other 4. "Guys this is Roni."

I offer a small smile and a wave as everyone smiles back with greetings.

"Weasley!" I hear Noah exclaim in a horrible British accent.

that's earns questioning glances but everyone lets it go really quickly and laughs.

"go have a seat, I'll be right back." Bryan says before walking back in.

"really? still?" I ask Noah as I take the spot next to him.

"yep." he takes a sip of his drink.

"you excited for tour? I heard from Bryan you're leaving in a week."

"yeah, we're going to Europe."

"oh wow, fancy."

he smiles at me.

"hey girl! I'm Rylan!" she holds her hand out for me to shake.

"hey, I'm Veronica. you can call me Roni though."

I shake her hand and she moves her chair next to me, "it's so great having another female here. there's too much testosterone, it makes me sick."

"you truly wound me, Ry. ouch." Noah says before he excuses himself to grab another drink.

"oh hush you big goon." she jokingly rolls her eyes.

"so Roni, you and Noah?" she raises her eyebrows suggestively.

"there's nothing to tell," I shrug. "we've only talked a few times, there's nothing going on."

"uh huh, and "Weasley"?"

a small smile forms on my face at the nickname. the story on how he came to it being the reason for my smile.

"girl, do tell!" she say's excitedly.

before I can, Noah's back in his chair and Rylans already glaring at him.

"What? I just sat down!" Noah says as soon as he sees her glaring at him.

If only he knew.