13

TW: TALKS OF ABORTION AND ALCOHOL ABUSE

Fine Line - Harry Styles
Sober - Demi Lovato

January 20th, 2022

KARISSA MONTGOMERY

I sit at the end of the bed with my hands resting on the bed from behind me. I tap my foot on the floor, impatiently waiting for the medicine to do its thing.

This past week, I've been feeling sick. My back hurts, and I've been extremely exhausted. I've been getting home from work and just instantly going to bed.

I began with nausea a couple of days ago, and the doctor gave me some medicine for that, which I just took.

I take a deep breath, swallowing nothing, trying to make the feeling disappear.

"How are you feeling?" Aurora walks into the room and asks. I shake my head, and she sighs, sitting beside me. "It's probably just stress."

It could be because I've been nothing stressed these past few weeks.

Harry returned from Italy a week ago, and I haven't seen him since then. He doesn't answer my texts or my calls, and when he visits Astrid, he makes sure it's around the time I'm at work.

After we talked on the phone, he sent me pictures of everything that reminded him of me. I loved looking at the pictures and showing them to Astrid, promising her I'll take her there next year.

I've also been stressed mostly because the pleasing collection is coming out in less than two weeks, and he's nowhere to be seen.

"You think she's the one not letting him come see you?"

I'm also stressed about that.

Crystal moved in with Harry a couple of days ago, and she called me, saying she still wanted to be Astrid's nanny, and I agreed, not because of her but because Astrid loves having her around.

When Aurora first found out Harry and Crystal went to Italy together, I had to almost tie her down so she didn't drive to Crystal's house and beat her up.

And when she found out she had now moved in... let's just say now Harry is avoiding the both of us.

"I probably just caught a bug," I say.

"Karissa, from where? You barely even eat. Everything makes you throw up unless it's fucking chicken soup."

"I don't know, Aurora. I'm fine," I swallow again, quickly covering my mouth and rushing to the bathroom, kneeling and releasing everything from my stomach into the toilet.

"Here," Aurora throws a brown paper bag on the floor next to me, kicking it closer to me.

I lift my head to take a look inside the bag, and I see a pregnancy test inside.

I had told Aurora what happened the day of her birthday, and since I started feeling sick, she's been swearing I'm pregnant but let the subject go when I refused to be.

"I'm not pregnant."

"Karissa."

I was in denial.

If I was so sure I wasn't, I could've done the test to prove I was not, but in reality, I knew deep inside that there was a possibility that I was.

"Get out," I tell Aurora as I try to get up from the floor.

She exits the bathroom, and I do the same thing I did all those years ago when I found out I was pregnant with Astrid.

I sit on the toilet with my hand between my legs, trying to aim my pee on the test without getting my hands wet.