02

Fix You - Coldplay

November 21st, 2021

KARISSA MONTGOMERY

I hear my alarm go off, and I turn to the side to turn it off. As soon as I do so, I hear Astrid's door slam shut.

The door of my room swings open, and she comes running to my bed. "It's my birthday, it's my birthday, Mommy!"

She jumps on the bed and hugs me. I kiss her cheek, and I whisper praises in her ear. "Are you hungry? I am," I ask her, sitting on the corner of the bed, looking for my slippers.

"Yes, can we make chocolate chip pancakes?" She puts her hands together and pouts. "Pleaseeee."

Harry and I don't usually let her start her morning with that much chocolate because it gives her too much energy way too early, and as we're both barely waking up, she's ready to start the day.

"Yes, we can. Only today, okay?" I point at her with my index finger, trying to look authoritative but smiling.

"Okay."

I go to Astrid's room and get her new clothes, and I get her changed quickly. Once she's done, I tell her to wait for me to get ready.

Once we're both ready, she runs back to her room and puts on a little pink crown that says happy birthday on it.

"At what time is Daddy getting here?" Astrid asks as we go down the stairs.

We hear the doorbell ring, and I turn to Astrid. "At-" I look at my clock. "9:26, which is right now."

I open the door, and Harry walks in, carrying two big boxes wrapped in gift paper and putting them on the table. He walks back outside and brings back two coolers with drinks.

"Hello, little dove," Harry kneels and hugs Astrid.

"Daddy, it's my birthday," she smiles.

"Little dove, your birthday was yesterday. Today's your birthday party."

"Mhm, it's my birthday weekend," she giggles.

"You're right, baby. Come here," Harry picks her up and throws her over his shoulder.

"How are you?" Harry asks me. Throwing Astrid on the couch and walking back toward me.

"I'm good. My ears are still ringing," I laugh, walking into the kitchen and grabbing a mug from the cabinet.

I fill the coffee machine with water, and I put the mug under it, waiting for it to fill up. Once my cup is done, I grab another one, repeating the same process.

I make both coffees, and Harry walks into the kitchen, smiling. "Here," I hand him the mug.

He takes a sip of it, smirking. "Just how I like it, love."

"Very hard to forget how you like it when it's only black coffee," I tease.

He laughs, and Astrid walks into the kitchen, pouting. "Can I open my presents now?" She blinks a few times, and Harry's heart melts. He looks away from her to smile and bites his knuckles. "Not right now, little dove; you have to wait for the other presents to get here."

"Mmm, okay, Daddy," she says, walking out of the kitchen and leaving Harry, regretting saying no.

"She probably hates me," he shakes his head, and I try not to laugh.

"She doesn't hate you. You're so dramatic. She needs to start learning she can't have everything she wants," I reassured him.

It breaks our hearts to tell Astrid no, and even though she's not a bad kid and she understands she can't have or do everything she wishes for, we're still trying to make a habit, primarily for us, than for her.