14

TW: ALCOHOL ABUSE AND DUI

Let Her Go - Passenger

February 1st, 2022

HARRY STYLES

I wake up to the sound of balloons popping downstairs. I harshly rub my eyes, not wanting to wake up just yet.

There's a moment of silence, and I wait for someone to speak, then I hear Crystal convincing, almost begging Astrid to wear her uniform.

"We're done decorating. Daddy has to take you to school now."

"No," Astrid shouts, making me leave bed and change. "Surprise, daddy!" Astrid excitedly runs to me as I walk down the stairs, and I kneel to reach her height.

"Who did all this?"

"Me and Crystal did," she smiles widely. "Happy birthday, daddy."

"I love you, little dove," I kiss her cheek, hugging her. "Why aren't you ready for school yet?"

"I don't wanna go," she let go of me, immediately pouting, making me turn my head to the side to hide my smile.

"Why not?"

"I want to stay here with you," she puts her hands together as if praying. "Call mommy and ask her, pleaseee," she begs, dragging the e for longer.

"I really wish I could, baby, but you have to go to school today. We already talked about this," I grab her hand, feeling guilty when Astrid rejects it and crosses her arms.

Karissa and I agreed to enroll Astrid for school at the beginning of July, but Daniel allowed us to let her go this first few months just to help her get used to it, but we have also been having a hard time with her about going. Every time she's with me, she refuses to go, throwing tantrums at the school's front door, saying she wants to stay with me.

I must admit, the first time she did that, I took her back home without telling Karissa. Then she found out and scolded both of us, explaining how that would make her do it every time, thinking she could get away with it.

She was very correct because the next time she did it, Crystal had to drag me to the car because I wanted to bring her back home.

Daniel, being her teacher has been a tremendous help. She sits with him during recess, and they share their lunch with each other. Thinking back to all those times when Karissa begged me to let her enroll Astrid in school, and I refused, I think it was the best decision.

All those times when she didn't want to go to school but I still took her, I was afraid of the Astrid I would see in the afternoon, but she is a ray of sunshine. She leaves the school saying goodbye to all the professors and school staff, making sure always to say, 'Have a nice day.'

"It's fine," she says, rushing up the stairs and coming back changed. Her shirt is put on inside out, and her shoes backward.

Crystal quickly fixed her uniform and shoes, doing her hair however Astrid wanted to.

"I'm ready, daddy," she takes her lunchbox from Crystal, saying bye to her and walking to the front door.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

She has been having morning sickness almost every day, waking up at five and unable to go back to sleep. I've been trying to help her as much as she lets me, but there's not much for me to do.

"I'm fine. I'll call you if I need anything," she smiles. I kiss her, telling her I'll be back in a while since I have to run some errands.

I get Astrid in her seat, and I put on her seatbelt. We spend the drive to school singing and talking about what we're doing after I pick her up and how we will spend my birthday.