07

I miss you, I'm sorry - Gracie Abrams

December 20th, 2021

KARISSA MONTGOMERY

"Breaking news, singer Harry Styles' ex-wife is seen at a romantic dinner with new fling," I read from my phone, running my hand through my hair in frustration.

"Do you think Harry has seen the pictures?" Aurora asks, sitting on the other side of the couch.

"I don't know," I throw my phone to my side, crossing my arms on my chest. "He knows we're seeing each other because Astrid told him he was my boyfriend."

"Little shit, snitched on your ass," she laughs, and I throw a pillow toward her.

"It's not funny, Aurora," I taunt, rolling my eyes.

"Have you seen him since Astrid told him?"

"I picked her up on Monday, and he seemed fine. He didn't talk to me, but he seemed fine."

"You're single. You guys are divorced, you don't owe him an explanation, and more importantly, you're allowed to move on," Aurora screws over closer to me and rests her head on my shoulder. "You deserve to be happy."

"I was happy with him."

"No, you weren't, Monty. It's none of my business, I know, but you guys fought all the time. You hated having him home. It was starting to drain you. Your guys' fights were awful, and having Astrid listen to them wasn't healthy for her."

She was right.

Our fights just turned into plates being thrown around and breaking into pieces. Astrid would stand at the top of the stairs and call us both, telling us to stop fighting, and we never listened.

"I come home from work, fucking exhausted, and you're already talking about this, Karissa?" Harry says, turning the water on the sink and washing the dishes.

"Harry, I'm not doing it for myself. I'm doing it for Astrid," I said, cleaning the top of the counter.

"No, you're not. You're telling me you want her to go to school, that you want to find a job, that you don't want to be home. I give you everything you ask for. You don't need to work."

"But I want to," I raise my voice. "You can't just fucking keep me here."

"Are you not happy?" He asks, turning the water off and looking at me, leaning on the counter.

"Astrid needs to grow up. She can't just be at home. How is she going to learn shit?"

"She's smart enough. I'll find someone who can home-school her."

"This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why do we have to do what you want? You get to leave every day and go out and have fun. I can't even do that," I yell, brushing my hair with my fingers.

He grabs one of the plates from the sink, throwing it to the wall behind me, making me flinch. "What else do you want? Do you want a bigger house? Do you want me to hire someone to come clean? What else do you fucking want, Karissa?"

"Are you not listening to what I'm saying?" I wipe the tears running down my cheeks, backing away from him.

"You don't need to work, baby. You're fine the way things are. You're happy here. You have Astrid with you all the time. Aurora comes over whenever she wants, and so does Daniel," he lowers his voice. "I have to leave every day and leave you both here, you have Astrid with you all the time, and you want to send her away?"