Prologue

Wish We Had More Time - Alice Boman
Put Me Through It - Suki Waterhouse

June 20th, 2021

KARISSA MONTGOMERY

"Goodnight, babylove," I whisper, kissing her cheek and covering her legs with her blanket.

"Night night, mommy," she smiles and grabs the blanket hem, covering her entire body and turning to her side.

"On or off?" I ask, standing at the door with my hand on the light switch.

"Off. I'm a big girl now," she chuckles.

It's not rare that kids are afraid of the dark, and Harry and I have had that problem since Astrid started sleeping alone. We would have to leave the light on or have a little lamp next to her bed and leave it on during the night.

One time Harry forgot to leave the light on, and she came running to our room crying and saying there was a monster in her closet. After Harry made sure there were no monsters in her room, she went back to her room and begged us to leave the light on at all times.

"Yes baby, you are," I smile at her even though she can't see me.

"Daddy says I'm brave," She turns around and sits down, lifting the sleeve of her shirt and showing me her little bicep.

I chuckle and shake my head. "A very brave girl. I love you, baby."

"Me more, mommy," she whispers, lying on her bed.

I turn the light off, and I make sure to leave the small moon lamp plugged into the outlet next to her door.

I walk downstairs and enter the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water from the cabinet. I look at the clock that is on the stove, and I see that Harry is almost home. I drink my cup of water in one sip, and I go to the living room, sitting on the arm of the couch facing the door and my arms crossed.

I know this is the worst possible way to do this, and I know Harry walking in with me here and looking like I am right now will worry him, and that's the last thing I want to do.

I've been dreading this for weeks now, and if I don't do it tonight, I'm not doing it at all.

I hear the gates open, and my hands begin to shake. I try to control my breathing and think about something else.

He turns the engine off, and the sound of his keys approaches the front door. He unlocks it and walks in, smiling. As he steps foot in the living room, he starts taking his shoes off and kicks them next to the door.

He walks toward me and kisses my lips, then my cheek, and then my temple. "My love," he whispers, cupping my cheek and running his thumb on my bottom lip. "Where's my little dove?"

"Asleep," I say, looking up at him, and he gives my forehead a little peck.

"And you? How's my angel doing?" He asks, his hand still cupping my cheek and the other undoing my crossed arms and holding my hand. "What's wrong?" He looks down at my shaky hand and back at me.

"I need to talk to you," I blurted out, and he furrowed his eyebrows, not letting go of my hand.

"What happened?"

"I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I'm doing this because I think it's what's best for Astrid and us...." I sigh, and I look down at my hands, playing with my wedding ring. "We should get a divorce."

"A divorce?" He asks in a surprised tone, and I keep my eyes on my hands. "Isa, look at me," he puts his hand on the side of my neck, and his thumb lifts my chin. "Please talk to me. Was it something I did? Are you not happy anymore?" He rambled, and my heart broke.