Chapter 16: Raiden

Raiden reappears in the Netherrealm. He walks forward, looking around.

RAIDEN: Quan Chi! Quan Chi!

Scorpion appears before him in a flash of hellfire.

RAIDEN: It disappoints me to see you here.

SCORPION: Save your pity.

RAIDEN: I will have an audience with Quan Chi.

SCORPION: You may address me. I will inform him.

RAIDEN: Is this why you chose not to save your family and clan? To maintain your place at his feet?

SCORPION: Do not talk of my family, Raiden!

RAIDEN: Fetch your master, Scorpion. I must speak with him.

SCORPION: You speak only with me.

They fight. While Scorpion's is increased by the Netherrealm and Raiden himself is at a disadvantage outside of Earthrealm, Raiden demonstrates that he didn't become the protector of Earthrealm by being a pushover in kombat. He takes the fight to the ninja specter and manages to knock him to the floor.

RAIDEN: Now, Scorpion. Fetch your master.

Scorpion teleports away and Quan Chi appears in his place.

QUAN CHI: You seek an audience.

RAIDEN: I seek cooperation. Between Earthrealm and the Netherrealm.

QUAN CHI: Losing the battle, are you?

RAIDEN: We will prevail. But with the Netherrealm fighting at our side

QUAN CHI: You lie poorly, Raiden. Earthrealm's defenses are overwhelmed. You have mere hours.

RAIDEN: ...Name your terms.

QUAN CHI: What do you offer?

RAIDEN: I offer... I offer the souls of Earthrealm warriors who die in this conflict.

Quan Chi bursts out laughing.

RAIDEN: They would agree.

QUAN CHI: You are cavalier with other men's souls.

He turns away and prepares to leave.

RAIDEN: Not just others! I offer my own soul as well. If I die, you will have it.

Quan Chi stops and turns around.

QUAN CHI: How noble, Raiden. Yet utterly pointless.

He channels his magic and makes the warriors who fell in battle reappear before them. All have their eyes glazed over with white and their bodies a sickly grey in colour, with cracks across their skin and clothing.

RAIDEN: No!

QUAN CHI: You see, their souls are already mine. Shao Kahn's payment for Netherrealm's allegiance.

RAIDEN: No! This was not meant to be!

QUAN CHI: Earthrealm has lost, Raiden. Now so shall you. Finish him.

Jax, Stryker and Kabal walk forward.

JAX: As you command, my master.

They fight. With no choice, Raiden has to battle Jax and defeat him. No sooner does he manage this, when Stryker attacks. After he repels the former police officer and takes him down, Kabal charges in. Raiden again is forced into battle, whereupon he defeats Kabal as well.

RAIDEN: May the Elder Gods watch over you.

QUAN CHI: The Elder Gods cannot help them. Their souls are mine. Kitana. Nightwolf. Kung Lao.