Chapter 8: Sub-Zero

The scene cuts away to the Soul Chamber. Sub-Zero is busy practicing his freezing powers - on an unseen victim.

SUB-ZERO: A pity you could not have cooperated.

As he finishes, a cyborg in yellow deactivates his stealth camoflauge and approaches him.

CYRAX: You are ordered to return to the Lin Kuei temple for assimilation.

SUB-ZERO: Cyrax!

CYRAX: I am Lin Kuei Unit L-K-4-D-4. You will come with me.

SUB-ZERO: I am sorry for what they did to you, but I will not comply.

They fight. Although unprepared for an attack from a cyborg, Sub-Zero's control over ice and his fighting skill allow him to take it to Cyrax. After a brutal fight, Sub-Zero emerges victorious.

SUB-ZERO: I will face the Lin Kuei when my task is done, not before.

Defeated, Cyrax teleports away, just as Jax and Sonya enter the chamber.

SONYA: The readings were getting stronger and now they're gone. I

They both pause as they spot the ninja.

SONYA: Sub-Zero?! But... you're dead!

SUB-ZERO: I am not the Sub-Zero you speak of. He was my brother.

SONYA: Your... brother?

SUB-ZERO: I'm only here to learn Sub-Zero's fate.

Sonya and Jax look at each other for a moment, and then Jax nods his approval.

SONYA: He was killed by someone named Scorpion.

SUB-ZERO: Where would I find him?

SONYA: Try the Coliseum. That's where

Before she can continue, a strong vibration eminates from the Soul Chamber itself. A wave of souls float out and around the area.

ERMAC: You have disturbed our regeneration process.

The red garbed ninja appears in front of them.

JAX: Ermac!

He strides over to Ermac and grabs him by the throat.

JAX: Gotcha!

He tries to throw a punch, but Ermac stops it by raising his glowing telekenetic hand. He then uses the other glowing hand to telekenetically remove Jax's choke-hold. Jax is unable to stop his arms from being moved out to his side. Jax's arms then start vibrating with green energy and he begins screaming in terror. Ermac then brutally explodes Jax's arms into bloody pieces via his telekenesis and shoves him to the ground.

SONYA: Jax!

Acting quickly, Sonya cauterizes the bloody stumps that are Jax's arms with her wave energy blasts.

SONYA: Stay with me, Jax!

With Jax writhing on the ground and Sonya tending over him, Ermac faces down Sub-Zero.

ERMAC: We will break you as well.

SUB-ZERO: Not if I break you first.

They fight. Ermac's telekenesis finds an equal match in Sub-Zero's freezing process, resulting in a brutal display of magic and sorcery. But in the end, Sub-Zero prevails against Shao Kahn's enforcer.

SUB-ZERO: I remain whole, for now.

By now, Jax has fallen unconscious from the blood loss and pain.

SONYA: Sonya Blade to Command. Sonya Blade to Command. Do you read? Sonya Blade to Command. Do you read?