Chapter 2: Sonya Blade

Sonya has found her way into an underground location on the island. She creeps around cautiously.

SONYA: Jax! Jax, are you in here?

She has walked into what appears to be a prison or a lair. Rotting bodies stripped off their flesh hang off rusty meathooks. One of the the iron barred cells Sonya comes across contains Jackson Briggs. He looks like he's been severely beaten during his incarceration.

SONYA: Oh my God. What did they do to you?

JAX: Run, girl, run...

Behind her, Shang Tsung and Lily Tsung walks into the prison with two masked guards flanking them.

SHANG TSUNG: Miss Blade! You do not disappoint. We have been expecting you.

SONYA: Let him go! We're not part of your tournament!

LILY TSUNG: On the contrary, you are very much a kontestant. You will face Sub-Zero, of the Lin Kuei clan of assassins.

Ice begins to materialise in the prison, taking the form of a man. The ice shatters to present Sub-Zero. He assumes a fighting stance and Sonya walks toward him.

SUB-ZERO: Now you will feel death's cold embrace.

They fight. Even against his powers of ice, Sonya manages to fend off the merciless assassin and beat him unconscious. She then addresses Lily and Shang Tsung.

SONYA: Done! We're leaving!

Raiden appears in a flash of lightning as Shang Tsung moves forward.

SONYA: Stand in my way and I'll kick your a

SHANG TSUNG: A challenge?

LILY TSUNG: Cannot wait till I make you my puppet after I kill you!

Raiden suddenly gasps. In his mind he flashes back to a picture of Liu Kang defeating Shang Tsung with a flying kick. He promptly gets between the two of them.

RAIDEN: No. You will not be the one to challenge either Lily Tsung or Shang Tsung.

Sonya misinterprets this as Raiden trying to protect the sorcerer.

SONYA: You want some too? Fine by me!

They fight. Showing her tenacity and taking advantage of Raiden's reluctance to fight, Sonya aggressively takes it to the God of Thunder and knocks him down.

SONYA: Enough of this!

She grabs Raiden by the shirt and prepares to punch him again.

RAIDEN: Shield your eyes.

SONYA: What?

RAIDEN: Shield your eyes.

His eyes start crackling with electricity. A blinding flash envelopes the surrounding area. Sonya manages to get one arm in front of her face. Shang Tsung, Lily Tsung and the guards aren't so lucky. With them blinded, Sonya destroys the bars on Jax's cell with her wave energy blast. She supports Jax as best as she can.

SONYA: Jax, come on! We're outta here!

JAX: 'Bout time...

As Raiden picks himself up, the masked guards take off after Sonya and Jax. Shang Tsung and Lily Tsung looks over at Raiden.

SHANG TSUNG: You aided their escape.

RAIDEN: You allowed them to escape.

SHANG TSUNG: They will not get far.

LILY TSUNG: I'm gonna go and accompany Kitana and Jade, Father.

SHANG TSUNG: Very well Daughter, I shall see you soon.