Chapter 2: Kotal Kahn

The scene fades into the desert skyline of the capital city of Z'unkahran in Outworld. It pans down to the city buildings, and finally the streets, where a battalion of Kotal Kahn's warriors march through, along with the Outworld equivalent of oxen dragging a large carriage. Leading the march are the wandering mercenary Erron Black and the living amalgamation of souls known only as Ermac. The scene cuts to the inside of the carriage, and our first sight of Outworlds latest emperor; the Osh-Tekk warrior Kotal Kahn.

KOTAL: Twenty million.

The camera cuts to who he is speaking with; the Earthrealm mercenary Kano, leader of the Black Dragon. Sitting beside him is D'Vorah, Kotal's lieutenant from Kytinn.

KANO: Emperor, what's the expression? "S' not worth the dirt on my shoe"?

D'VORAH: Kotal Kahn has always bargained with you fairly, Kano.

KANO: Sure, sure. I'm just sayin'; upgraded weapons, my intel - and poof! The long Outworld civil war - done. Might be nice to kick back a bit, eh?

KOTAL: You know Mileena and Lily Tsung's location.

KANO: A their whole rebel army. S'gotta be worth at least fifty.

KOTAL: I must attack them. Immediately. End this conflict. As you say...

Kano looks over to the rooftops through the carriage windows. He spots the former Kahn Mileena and former empress Lily Tsung running over them, accompanied by the Edenian demi-god Rain.

KOTAL: ...it drains us.

Kano refocuses his attention on Kotal.

KANO: Right. Do we have a deal?

The driver of Kotal's cart suddenly calls a halt, bringing the carriage to a stop. D'Vorah immediately checks the window.

KOTAL: What is it, D'Vorah?

D'VORAH: The emperor should not be concerned. Accident ahead. This One will clear it.

As she exits the carriage, the scene cuts to the reason behind the halt.

Two massive carts of stacked crates block the roadway. Kotal's soldiers move to heave them aside as D'Vorah walks up to them.

D'VORAH: Make way for Kotal Kahn! Move!

On the rooftops, Mileena and Rain spy on the proceedings, accompanied by the witch Lily Tsung and several Tarkatans.

LILY TSUNG: The Tarkatans are in position. We await your order my love.

MILEENA: It is given, my love.

Lily Tsung sneaks off with several Tarkatans in tow.

RAIN: Stopping a carriage is nothing. Killing an emperor--

MILEENA: FALSE emperor!

RAIN: --requires power. Power you have, Mileena. And won't use.

Mileena begrudgingly pulls out what Rain is referring to - Shinnok's Amulet.

MILEENA: I will not use it, it will kill me.

RAIN: The rain falls when it may.

MILEENA: No matter - if Kano does what I paid him to do.

Back at the cart pile up, Ermac is telekinectically moving the crates, while Kotal's soldiers still struggle with the carts themselves.

D'VORAH: Now! Do it!

More soldiers walk over to help. Inside the carriage, Kotal Kahn waits impatiently and silently with Kano, who seems to be staring him down to pass the time. A shout outside the carriage attracts Kotal's attention, and he turns to see an entire army of Tarkatan warriors madly rushing down a back alley directly at his forces. Outworld civilians scatter at the rush, but Kotal's forces rush in to intercept them. At the same time, more Tarkatans rush in from an alley on the opposite side of the carriage, forcing the soldiers to divide up to fight them off.