Lee Taemin: Enlistment

"There's no need for you to be so scared, things will be alright."

Whilst Taemin's head nodded, a small part of his heart still didn't feel as if it could agree with what you'd say. Tears had failed to stop falling for quite some time, frequent snuffles came from beside you, holding onto the last few hours he'd get to spend at home, with you.

His enlistment was something you always hoped you could put off forever, but when his letter came through, you know what he had to do. Even though you'd been able to come to terms with things, Taemin was still terribly distant from his new reality.

"I don't know any different from the life I live now," he whispered across to you, bringing his hand out from underneath the duvet. "I'm not used to change, not used to being away from home, from you, it's all too much."

You brought your own hand out, wiping the droplets of tears that streamed down his cheeks before intertwining your hand in with his. "This is a change no one wants, but it's what's got to be done."

The two of you had waved off the three members before, not to mention several other of Taemin's friends in the company too. Each time, you'd always pick up on how much he'd shut himself off, especially so when you recently said goodbye to Baekhyun too.

"I'm just glad I don't have to go into the army, violence isn't really for me," he giggled, trying to settle himself as best as he could, "Kibum said the music is insane."

"I have to admit honey, the last thing I could ever picture you with is a gun," you teased, tilting your head to look across at him, "you'll love being part of the band, Kibum looked as if he had a ball."

"It's not quite the same though, is it? This year has been such a high, the group, and with the solo album too. I won't have what I'm used to, I have to adapt, I've not had to adapt for years," he huffed, closing his eyes in frustration.

A soft sigh came from you, moving your free hand across to run over the top of his hairless head. "You always knew that you'd have to adapt at some point, and you never know, a change of environment might end up doing you the world of good."

"But adapting doesn't include you, who knows when you'll be able to come and visit or if I'll be able to take holiday and come home? The rules are still pretty strict," he vented, opening up his eyes to look back across at you, allowing you to see the dear in his eyes.

Enlistment as a whole terrified Taemin, but what terrified him the most was the fear of being without you. Through everything over recent years you'd been supporting him, especially without his other members, and now he had to stand on his own two feet.

When you didn't respond, Taemin spoke up once again, silence being the last thing he needed. "How will I know that you're alright when I'm not here with you."

Although calling Korea home was a little difficult for you, with your family miles away, you saw yourself nowhere else whilst Taemin enlisted. All three of the boys, and several members of SuperM too, had promised to rally around you and be there for you.

"I guess I've just got to be as strong as you do, right?" You smiled, leaning across to press a kiss against his cheek, "we've just got to get through this together."

Miles might be separating you, but that didn't change how close the two of you are. A lot was going to change, which you seemed to understand more than Taemin, but this wasn't a forever thing, as you continuously had to remind yourself.

"As soon as I get out, you know I'm never going to let you go again," Taemin mused, sliding his arm underneath your lower back, pulling you closer into his side. "I won't ever spend a second without you in my company and make up for all the lost time."

"I think you'll get pretty sick of the sight of me as soon as you get out," you chuckled, "you'll be too used to not seeing me, I bet that you won't even miss me after a while of being at camp."

His head shook instantly, refusing to let you think such thoughts. "I can't even begin to describe to you how much I'm going to miss you. Even if the camp is the best thing in the world, I'll still be thinking of you and how much better it would be if you were there. The second I leave that camp; I'll never be without you again."

"I know that you're worried, but I know you'll enjoy yourself," you reminded him, "as long as you promise that you'll give it time."

His head nodded, holding onto the promise that he'd made to you, "what about you though? Will you enjoy yourself without me here to brighten every single day?"

Your eyes rolled at the wide smirk that was on his face, "it'll be hard," you teased, "but I reckon I might just end up surviving. Kibum's told me I can pop round and see Comme Des and Garcon anytime that I like, and Jinki's promised me front row seats to his new show."

A gulp ran down his throat, relieved that he had such incredible friends who will be there for you. "Just remember whenever you're with them, that I'm still your favourite member of SHINee."

"Yes, you'll always be my favourite member of SHINee Tae," you acknowledged, resting yourself further into his shoulder, "there's one thing I have been thinking about recently though, how good you're going to look in a uniform."

"I remember on our third date you told me how you liked a man in uniform," he reminisced, "and now you're finally going to get your hands on one."

You could hear the laughter in his voice as he spoke, if nothing else, he knew he was about to take your breath away in his red jacket and smart trousers.

"Maybe you can make me one more promise, when you get discharged, you make sure that uniform comes home with you, just for the future, something to look back on."

"Are you really going to convince me that's why you want me to keep it?" He challenged.

"Well, it would be nice for you at least."

"If it'll make you happy, I'll bring back every single piece of uniform I collect," he smiled, "and then, when I never leave your side again, which I'll make sure happens, I can talk you through it all and share all of the stories I have and the memories I'll have made in camp."

"I'm already looking forward to that time Tae."

"Me too, even if there are a few months to go just yet," he whispered, pressing a kiss against the top of your head. "If I promise you this, can you promise me another thing too?"

"Of course."

Tae's hand rested under your chin, pulling your eyes up to meet his. "Promise me that you'll wait for me, I don't think I could come home knowing you weren't here."

"I'll wait, I promise, always."

tumblr: blu-joons