34. Cara

As soon as we entered the Meeting Hall, I was slammed against the closed oak door, Xander's hard body caging me like a predator with its prey.

He was breathing heavily, eyes aglow. "What have you been upto, little witch?"

I quirked a brow, "Little witch?"

He growled and I could feel his wolf close to the surface. "Answer me. No more games, Cara. I'm so done with your deceit and your lies." Anger and betrayal swirled in his eyes and through our bond.

My heart clenched momentarily but I steeled myself because it would just get harder from here on out.

"Xander, take it easy. Step back from Cara."

No one spoke after Melida and Xander and I held eye contact for a long minute. I saw him trying to curb his alpha tendencies and push back his wolf. His jaw clenched and his eyes were still golden and swirling but he finally took a step back.

I didn't show any change in my demeanor as my heart sped up.

He took a deep breath and in a few long strides, went to pick up a piece of parchment from the table. "What's this?" He used his speed to appear in front of me within a split second, the document shoved in my face.

I calmly glanced over it. "I think you know."

"You've freed all the slaves in Vammal. ALL of them. Of every species." Confusion, awe and surprise colored his face as Lucien and Arion sucked in a sharp breath. Damien leaned forward, a dip in his brows.

"That's correct." I tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear, meeting Melida and Micah's gazes. They shook their head as if in defeat.

"Where the hell did you get the gold for that? You used Adaldan gold to free any werewolf that was forced into service but the others?" His voice rose.

I shrugged, "I have my sources."

"Why?" Arion's question was a mere whisper but in the swirling silence an tension of the room, it was fairly audible.

I looked over, meeting his storm grey eyes as he ran a hand through his russet hair. Flowers in the vase near him were already floating due to his power.

Xander stepped closer, my Alpha King's harsh fingers grabbing onto my cheeks and turning my face towards him and away from Arion's.

It was harsh. It was a tight grip. And he'd never once treated me with that level of anger and detachment. It should have scared me but all I could think about was, 'It's happening. Everything according to plan.'

"I can accept your absurd decision and your atrocious access to money but, Cara I can't accept a cheating mate." His voice broke but his eyes blazed. "Why did you kiss all three of them? You let them mark you, cover you in their scents, to drink from you and then you came back to our chambers as if nothing was wrong." Pain bled into his voice and my heart cracked.

His grip on my face hurt but I didn't say anything.

Just a few more moments.....

"Xander, step back. You're hurting her." Lucien's frigid voice carried over and Xander's attention jumped to the Shifter General.

He let go of me and I exhaled, biting the inside of my cheek.

"If I hurt her, that's between us. You're an outsider who kissed my mate in my palace and have the audacity to walk like an innocent?" Sharp words that were accompanied with a rumble of his wolf, Xander snickered in contempt and Lucien's answering growl said enough about his feelings on the matter. 

Unfazed, Xander continued, "All of you are the same. You have no sense of respect and honor but one's a King." Xander looked at Arion. "The other a Prince."