9. Cara/Xander

Forgiveness does not come easy.

But when the sins are your own, repentance doesn't either.

I learned that and I made sure to do what I best could.

I knew Xander was struggling. Struggling because no matter the strong and powerful Alpha King he was, what I'd made him do to me– his mate–was as good as a death sentence.

It feels like your entirety is being torn and flamed, turning to ashes as the world goes grey, pain and wrecking inflicted as boldly as any sword strike on the softest flesh.

I probably made him ten times worse than that and there was nothing I could do to change it.

I sucked in a sharp breath, memories falling into place in my mind slowly but steadily. The full moon wasn't so far anymore, barely two weeks or so away and I had much to accomplish in that time. Starting with, I knew how Xander must have been struggling to keep his court and people silent regarding me–a supposed human mate.

It made me snicker.

A sharp pain bloomed in my chest and I bit the inside of my cheek as I worked on subduing the bond between me and Damien. Feeling not just his but the others emotions as well was hard.

Mels glanced at me, "Fine?"

I nodded. "Working on it." My sudden retrieval of memories did not mean I had all the knowledge of my body and how it...worked, along with the few rewards it came with. Training me in some basic mental barring, Melida had been assisting quite a lot.

Our walk to the outside training grounds of the Adaldan force was taking longer than expected. But then again, I knew what awaited me and the tantalizing scent of Xander's was pulling me closer and calling it a noose would be no lie.

'I have word that Britt and Keely are in our hands now. They should be here soon.'

'And the letter? Any responses?' I questioned as we mind-linked, unafraid of prying ears. 

'He is on the move as well.'

I nodded and Mels gave me a look. "What?" I inquired.

"Are you sure about this?" 

I understood her concerns but this was one of the steps I had to take. I was well aware that Xander had doubts about whether I was human or not seeing how I survived and the change in eye-color but it wasn't like he would be getting a confirmation any time soon to begin with. 

He can try all he wants but it will only lead him to dead ends.

Besides, time is of essence and we dont have much of it.

Opening the grand oak doors, we made our way out. 

I faltered slightly, my steps uneven for a second as I reminisced of a fond memory.

Sera had dragged me to the indoor training room of Valeryn and I remembered how Arion had looked scrumptious. What playful banter Sera and I had shared, how she was always on my side.

I gulped thickly, taking with it the emotions that fought to pour out, breaking my fractured heart even more. But masking my emotions as well as I did was not a skill I learned in five years but much, much longer. But I'd resolved now, being aware as I was, to only focus on the revenge and not to let my emotions get the best of me in situations that reminded of Sera. Melida was following my example as well.

The training grounds here spanned much of the mountain areas. Granted, this was not the entire force of Adalda but it was surely the best of them. 

Despite the welcome of autumn, today was a sunny day much to my chagrin. Shirtless men and scarred skin was on display but amongst them all, my eyes sought out my mate quicker than one could blink.