32. Cara/Arion

He felt like coming home.

Lucien's kiss was frigid. And at the same time, it was wrecking havoc on me. I shouldn't be indulging and yet here I was, succumbing to the need he arose within me and breaking my own rules.

I was so goddamn selfish.

Lucien's hand wrapped around my loose hair and tugged, sending pinpricks of pain up my scalp that held my attention for no more than a few seconds. HIs lips devoured mine, moving in sync as I rose on my tiptoes, hands occupied with holding the books against my chest.

"You....." he pulled away, amber eyes swirling with confusion as they met mine and we breathed heavily. "What are you doing to me?" Whispered against my cheek and yet they were like a cold bucket of water over my heated state of mind and body. The bonds in my chest pulled and writhed, a certain amber and blue one wrapped around my heart.

I pushed myself away from him, creating distance as I looked at his swollen lips. The splash of swollen red lips on his otherwise frigid structure sent a thrill of satisfaction through me.

Until--

"My, oh my. How scandalous of the Luna Queen and Shifter General to be having a rendezvous  in a dark corner of the library."

Damien's smile could cut stones. It was that sharp. He was practically buzzing with electric energy, his eyes glowing blue as he stared between me and his best friend.

I lifted my chin in a futile attempt to regain composure, hoping the flush in my cheeks would've vanished. "Prince Damien."

He was hurt. I could feel it in the bond and he was making sure I felt it.

"Are you cheating on your so-called-mate so soon?" His words were harsh, covering up the hurt.

"Pardon?" Evenly, I rose a bow as Lucien took one step away, his hand still wrapped around my waist even though it was wrong.

He simply stared at me, swallowing harshly. His midnight black hair looked freshly styled, a little longer than I last remembered it. and I couldn't stop thinking about how my visceral reaction had just complicated things even more.

I understood where Damien was coming from perfectly. And I wasn't planning on getting close to any of my other three men but gods, I missed them so much. It was like asking a thirsty man to not drink water placed in front of him. My feels ran so much deeper. My memories wanted their touches and affection all to myself.

"Are you done with the farce for power, Cara?" He sneered. "If you wanted to be Queen, I could make you one. You had no reason to pretend to be Xander's mate." 

I stepped away from Lucien's hot touch and felt him flex his hand even though he didn't look at me. "My apologies but it seems you've misunderstood. I am indeed Xander's mate. He is my moon given."

He scoffed, entirely disregarding my statement before looking at Lucien. "And you? You're kissing her? When you know exactly who and what she is to me?"

Lucien didn't back down, his words like a fortress hewn of ice. "It seems she has some connection with me as well. I do not trust her, neither do I care for her. But as long as whatever memory I cannot recall stays in play, I will be a part of her life."

Momentary panic seized my heart even though I looked to be prim and proper on the outside. What was Lucien doing? 

Damien's anger flared and his electric eyes met mine, his fangs displayed in his vicious smile. "You've felt our bond, haven't you? You've blocked me too. Consciously. I am your SoulBond. That is a connection you cannot break."