Prologue

(Cara's P.O.V)

Give them power enough to fool them but never enough to lose yourself.

But it was already too late for me. I'd lost myself to them.

It was fickle, but I'd hoped. I'd hoped something would have changed. Anything. But it didn't happen.

They wanted a decision? They wanted me to choose? 

Then good thing, I'd already done that.

My decision was made and so was my choice. 

Theirs wouldn't matter after this.

I raised my chin and embraced it. Embraced the truth they didn't know and the one that the raven haired woman was unraveling.

The tension was palpable and everyone was coiled taunt, muscles stiff.

She understood but she understood just a bit too much, a bit too late and the anger she previously harbored dissipated like weak smoke at her realization. 

Emotion clogged my throat but that wasn't how I survived this world. Ever. 

I looked away again and the male caging me had his lips pulled up showing teeth and eyes narrowed. And I was sure they had questions but sadly they weren't in the state to ask.

My eyes jumped from the captive hold of powerful male in front of me to the one behind him whose eyes should've frozen anyone looking into them. But I merely skipped ahead to stare into those that made me burn.

I let my eyes lock onto his in the end.

Because I knew. None of them did.

His lips curled up in pure malice and dark intent.

Lips I'd last felt on mine, just recently.

And when the wisps of smoke coiled around him, the others straightened up, feeling the power but not ready to take their eyes off of me.

He did them the favor when he spoke himself, attracting attention like bees to nectar.

"That was interesting." Eyes I couldn't recognize anymore looked into mine, an internal battle raging on.

Unimpressed, I cocked my head to the side indolently.

He didn't like it if the tick in his jaw said anything.

"Well, I'll leave then. But not without a parting gift." He smirked and I kept myself from reacting, hoping I was right.

No, I had to right. It wouldn't be for nothing and I, for one, knew that.

He frowned but with another last look that promised me he would conquer me, he vanished into thin air with only tendrils of dark smoke floating around.

And then I felt them before they appeared.

Micah cursed, watching how the room filled and the demons swept their hungry gazes over us.

The males were no more centered on me but what had just happened, eyes frantic as feelings surged through me and I intended to stop it. They weren't mine but....I couldn't.

As they formed a circle around me, I kept myself from scoffing at the irony. Instinct and conscious effort were apparently disagreeing with these males who wanted to shatter me unknowingly.

But not for long, I'd make sure of it.

The raven haired woman sucked in a sharp breath.

I looked around languidly, ignoring the tense environment that had just increased tenfold, when added to it was confusion.

I wasn't in the mood for this.

So I let it out, just a tendril and a smirk.

Two minutes later, the room was empty and devoid of any other being but the ones that were here initially.

My guys were frozen, eyes a mix of such swirls that I was afraid of being caught up in them so they could drag me down and drown me in themselves.

Healing me, fixing me and then breaking me, tearing me. Only they had that power. My guys did.

But that's right.

They weren't my guys anymore.

They never even knew they were.

I only turned around, not bothering to answer any unspoken questions because this was just the start except underneath all that anger rolling off of them, all that ache seeping through......there was something else I couldn't afford to sift through and feel.

"What..." His voice croaked, but all their eyes seared their invisible touches on my retreating figure yet I didn't stop until-- 

"Who are you?" He breathed out and I stilled.

Oh, if only someone could tell you.

I tipped my head back, tilting my chin to look at them through hooded eyes and sliding onyx hair. 

Should I answer them? No. Not that I exactly can.

I chuckled softly, the sound almost melodic but there was an empty feel to it I knew they wouldn't recognize.

So I gave them an answer that would leave them even more confused.

Because I'd already made my decision.

I wouldn't let it happen again. Never again.

Once had been enough and a war was coming.

•○•

AN~

FINALLY!

So, here's the prologue. I don't think I need to make you understand my patterns haha. This is also a FLASH FORWARD, I hope you enjoyed it! Mystery? Hm? *evil laugh* Any theories?

I found the title fitting and you all liked the cover too hehe.

I want to thank each one of you for being here and continuing the journey because it means a lot to me! 

We've started another journey and I'm just as excited as you all! Vicious Fangs got so much love and Marked Claws has been awaited a long while. Add it to your public and private reading lists to keep yourselves updated and follow me if you haven't! 

We'll be having weekly updates so far since I've got the drafts and all ready but no promises lol, I'm gonna be busy so might be late sometimes. But you all should know I don't leave my readers hanging and will surely finish the book but it's a long way to go.

Thank you again and don't forget to press that star button to vote and comment to show me your support and letting me know what you think! Hopefully, it was almost as good a start as the first book haha. 

Anyways then, stay safe and stay amazing. Till next time then!

~Skyler