31. Lucien

Cecilia was being a bitch.

But then again, I'd been colder towards her since the day of the Coronation.

Granted, the knowledge that she'd tried to manipulate me with love spells for some reason and that the Jade ring had a purpose had given me a weird whiplash.

I glanced down at the said ring, a frown on my face.

The ring had magically appeared on my finger the next day and I'd been unable to take it off. It just wouldn't come off.

On one hand, the ring apparently only protected me but on the other, I wasn't in control of whether I wanted to wear it or take it off.

The entire exchange had left us all confused. And I hated being confused. Ever since I'd met Cara, my life had been turned upside down and I was kept in the dark.

"You asked for me." A simple bleak statement, head held high and eyes that looked bloodshot. Cecilia was not having a good time at all.

I coldly looked her over and nodded. "I think we have some things to talk out."

She sat down on the oak chairs in the vast library where I'd been waiting for her.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about."

She wouldn't meet my eyes, her face was as sharp cut as mine and whileas usually she'd have warmth in her tone, a smile to spare and a hard-will to show, today she looked like she was done with the world.

I had so much to ask but I knew that straight forward questions would get me no answers.

"You tried to put a love spell on me?"

She flinched slightly and exhaled, shrugging. "A few times."

I trusted Cecilia. I truly did. I don't trust easily and I don't like being proven wrong. The knowledge made ice flow through my veins.

"Why?"

She gave me a baffled look, "Why? What do you mean Why?"

I narrowed my eyes and leaned forward, my palms on the table. "I'm asking you why you tried to put a spell on me to fall in love with you, Cecilia."

Her eyes lowered and a sadness encompassed her but I had no time to be considerate. No intention to soften any words.

"Because I'm in love with you." She whispered, her eyes clashing with mine. "But you wouldn't ever love me back."

My lips curled in distaste. "And that meant you could violate my free will?"

"No!" Her eyes widened. "That's not what I wanted to do, Lucien. You have to understand. You...she....."

"She? Who, Cara?" I rose a brow, teeth clenched.

Cecilia's entire body stiffened and a grow escaped her. "I loathe that woman. I hate her. So much." Eyes flaring and anger making her brows dip as she looked into my eyes, "You were promised to me, Lucien. King and Queen of the Shifters. That was us." Her lower lip quivered.

I stayed silent, giving her a hard look.

"But then she came. She stole you from me." Her eyes watered and I'd never seen Cecilia cry.

She had her legs cut off during a battle about four hundred years back but our powers meant she slowly healed and regret the limb. However, it was perhaps the most physically worst event in her life. Rugged from battle and then she lost both her legs and two fingers.

She hadn't she'd a single tear.

I didn't comfort people. I didn't even know how to. But in that moment, I was torn between comforting the woman who had been a trusted friend and subordinate and abandoning her equally the same.