10. Xander/Cara

(Xander's P.O.V)

The match began.

And Nile stayed true to his word, starting out aggressive. My beast stirred within me, growling impatiently and urging me to go protect her but I caged him, gritting my teeth and clutching the pommel of my own sword.

The mate bond was dampened but emotions still trickled in like a small stream: trepidation, confidence, eagerness, doubt.

Nile thankfully didn't do the mistake of deliberately aggravating me by grinning salaciously at Cara or something but my skin still prickled with unease.

Nile came down with the sword on Cara who blocked it with Rubin–the name of the sword she was wielding. Except Nile had put in wolf strength and Cara's feet slipped back with the force. But she did not fall and then right after came the parrying. Blow after blow was delivered by Nile, the sun beating down on us harshly and Cara blocked each one, loosing her footing less and less with each strike. As if she was standing up against the force of his werewolf strength and as much as it baffled me, I put the questions for once she would emerge victorious.

Because she simply had to.

I was coiled tight like a snake except the only beast I could be compared to was a restless wolf.

Being able to feel slices of the blows she was taking, the mate bond was wavering with her mental shields weak and I could feel her ache like it was my own. But where I expected it to be an ache of the body, it made me feel like it was an ache centuries old, never fading.

Nile Kausam got in a hit, his sword clanging against the metal of Cara's armor and my heart skittered. He was naturally more agile and strong than Cara, add in his shifter heritage and you had the match going like it was between a cat and a mouse with my mate, unfortunately, being the unfortunate mouse here.

I had to swallow down a growl but Cara was unaffected and with her jade eyes ferocious, she got back her equilibrium and continued to block his thrusts. She wasn't attacking at all and it was slightly worrisome.

But she still managed to hang on and besides a few close nicks with Nile's sword, nothing serious and worthy of being mentioned had happened. The arena had been silent but now after more than fifteen minutes having passed without a victor emerging, the pattern was becoming repetitive and the crowd was starting to whisper.

With the sunlight on her, the jadeite ring of Lucien's she still wore shone like the jewel it was and envy made itself known for a moment.

Melida's lips were twitching and I narrowed my eyes as she glanced at me.

'Don't worry, brother.'

'I physically cannot adhere to that command, Melida.'

She shrugged as if that was my problem and continued leaning against a tree, her arms folded lazily but her yellow eyes tracking Cara's every move with trained vigilance.

I shook my head at the strange behavior, aware I'd need to have a word with her and Micah about their closeness with my mate. It was suspicious as hell and I was ready to work for those answers.

Nile's eyes flicked around, no doubt hearing the whispers as clearly as any of us could with our enhanced hearing. He growled in irritation but I saw my mate's lips twitch and her stance of strengthened defense didn't waver. Her chest heaved and she was a sight to behold despite everything.

Then again, she was always a sight to behold for me.

Was she....per chance....forcing Nile to attack? But how was that going to be beneficial to her?