57 • Coalescent Souls

A/N: I've been distracted by Peaky Blinders this whole time, but since I've binged all the eps I am back 😙 (now I have a PB ff in my drafts 💀)

•-•-•

"Liya, what are those things in your hair?" Ronal asked, noticing the braids that Neteyam had done have been in her head for the past week. Liyanin froze for a second, not expecting her mom to bring it up since...they have been there for the past week.

"I...I let Kiri do my hair! I wondered what I would look like with Omatikayan braids and beads..." she nervously explained, hoping the hesitation in her voice wasn't too noticeable.

Ronal didn't say anything, only humming. She seemed like she held a little suspicion, but it wasn't a whole lot to where she would know of Liyanin's relationship with Neteyam. She then sat down, breathing in and out slowly, rubbing her swollen belly in a constant circle. Liyanin looked over at her mom, then sat next to her. "I know we are a handful, Mother." She spoke, resting her head on Ronal's shoulder. Her gaze lingered on her mom's belly, her thoughts settling on the idea of being pregnant. If Neteyam was ready to mate, did that mean he wanted children as well?

Children with Neteyam...sounds peaceful...

"A handful is merely an understatement." Ronal quipped, sighing, making Liyanin laugh a little.

"...Mother...?" She began, prompting her mom to hum in response. "...what...what was it like? Being...pregnant for the first time?"

Ronal immediately shot up, her gaze forcing itself on her daughter. Liyanin should have phrased that question better. "Liyanin te Tseyrìp Ronal'ite, are you with child??! Without even informing us of who your muntxatan is??!"

Liyanin's eyes widened out of shock, instantly waving her hands and shaking her head. "No! No, no, no! Not at all! I was just—"

"Then what is with this questioning?"

"It is just—I plan on having kids one day so I am just curious how it was for you when you...well, had me...! That is all, I swear!" She exclaimed. She didn't realize her wording would lead Ronal to that conclusion. The woman sighed out of relief, closing her eyes.

She had stayed silent for a few moments before speaking again, trying to erase the shock she just went through; also, thinking for an answer she could tell her daughter.

"...becoming pregnant with you...well...I will not lie to you. You gave me plenty of headaches."

Liyanin laughed sheepishly, her ears folding downwards.

"Yet...you would always, somehow, manage to make me feel the most serene in some of the most frustrating situations I was in."

"...What do you mean?"

"There was this one time, where someone in the clan had stolen some 'pxorna, and they caused quite the commotion. All the villagers had called for me, and I was already not having the best day due to a previous situation. As I was interrogating the one who stole the 'pxorna, I felt like I was going to...explode, let's say."

"What? My mother, exploding? You always keep your cool~" Liyanin teased, causing her mom to roll her eyes a little, a small smile on her lips.

"...but when that entire fiasco was over, I went back to your father and I's Marui, more stressed as ever. But as I sat with myself, I realized my stress was slowly dissipating. It was as if a small wave of cool water was splashed onto my face. It was so relaxing.

And that is when I also realized, it was because of you. I...I felt as if I were a wave, slowly swishing in the sea. I could feel you and, hear you."

The girl's eyes now slightly opened, not expecting such a story about her birth. "You could hear me?" She asked. Her mom nodded in response.