54 • Say Yes to Me

A/N: I think listening to Say Yes to Heaven by Lana while reading this chapter will make you feel things because it did for me. 🥹 which is rare 😭

•-•-•

Masanai clapped her hands twice, trying to bring Neteyam back to his senses. It has been two days of constant lessons and playthroughs; Neteyam had to practice being in all the roles—what it was like as a Säwemyu, a Srungsiyu, a Zeykoyu, and even an Eyktan, if the unlikely chance of him being voted to be the leader ever came through. He didn't practice as the Txurtu, though, since it was quite literally impossible for him to be that. He kept wandering off in his thoughts; he also began wondering why Liyanin only rode on her Ilu.

"...hey, Masanai. I have a question."

She sighed, her hands on her hips. "...Is it about the games?"

"Didn't Liyanin tame a tsurak?" He asked, his head tilted in thought.

"Yes..." she answered, a bit frustrated he strayed off-topic. "...why are you asking?"

"Do you know why she is never on one?" He pointed out. Masanai only sighed again, shaking her head.

"No, I don't. I even asked her, and she didn't answer. I don't think she has told anyone, really." She replied, looking at the ground.

"...really? Hmm..."

"...Eyweveng (Pandora) to Neteyam, you there?" She waved her hand in his face, hoping to bring his attention back.

"Oh, sorry, Masanai," he apologized, snapping out of his pondering. "...I actually...could we continue tomorrow?"

"Taronsäwem waits for no Na'vi; each day you procrastinate—"

"Yes, yes, each day I procrastinate I fall ten steps behind, I know. But we've been at this for three days straight, and I have not seen Liyanin in that time frame for barely a minute and I feel like she is going to think she did something wrong and she did absolutely nothing wrong so can I please just go?" He rambled, not noticing his tone. Masanai's ears folded upwards out of shock, not expecting him to go off on her like that. Neteyam, now realizing how irritated he sounded, hit his head lightly. "Oh, man, I am sorry. I did not mean to chastise you like that." He said, grabbing her shoulder. "I just really need to talk to her right now. And I also just really need a break."

She waited a bit before saying anything, but when she did, she laughed softly, grabbing his hand. "It is alright. I have been forcing all of these tactics and rules into your head. It makes sense you snapped."

"Ha, I guess that is one way to say it." He said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head, his hand now at his side. "Well, thank you. You have been a great help."

"You say that as if your lessons are finished." She said smugly. "The game is three weeks away."

"Haha, that would be preposterous!" He shrugged as he walked backwards. He waved at her saying goodbye, then turned around and went off on his way.

Masanai stood there, a small smile on her face. Her gaze then fell to her hand that had grabbed his. She sighed as she closed her eyes, holding her fist to her chest, praying, that her feelings would go away. At least enough to where she could concentrate on the game.

----------------------------------------

"So, what is this...?" Lo'ak asked, looking over Tuk's shoulder. She had an array of shells and some circles she drew in the sand.

"It is a new game I am working on! I call it, Tsere'i Aysum (Shell toss | lit.: throwing shells)!" She exclaimed, her head tilted upwards in pride.