45 • Things We Need to Hear

Kiri ended up switching topics—reluctantly, though. But Liyanin wasn't very chatty anymore, most likely due to the previous conversation. Kiri felt like it must have been weighing heavily on her mind—telling Neteyam of her abilities. But she also felt like her brother would understand, for he is a very understanding person. Also, Liyanin was similar to her in a way, surely, he would not be afraid of her since he is not afraid of Kiri. But alas, it is Liyanin's secret to divulge, not Kiri's.

"How do I always manage to hold secrets I want to spill..." she mumbled to herself, quiet enough to where Liyanin didn't hear.

The older girl was now just playing with her fingers, her mind in a state of chaos due to all of the things she had going on. The txampay'weya situation had passed and her and Neteyam were finally together, but now it seemed like she had an even bigger weight on her shoulders. She did not need that reminder of Eywa's home because now it just felt like one of her many responsibilities. And she knew that Awuya had told her to bring Kiri the next time she was to go, but this...this knowledge, it was already torturing her mind. She really didn't want to bestow that upon someone else, especially her best friend.

She suddenly groaned out of frustration, making Kiri jump.

"...hey, I'm sorry for...pressuring you, I guess..." Kiri mentioned in a soft voice, leaning closer to her. "...I am sure you've been debating constantly on whether to tell him or not."

"You have no idea..." she replied, stretching her legs out. "...I even asked Lo'ak if I should tell him."

"You did?" Kiri asked. Liyanin nodded in response. "What did he say?"

"...just some...weird story about Neteyam's past."

Weird story? Neteyam's past?, thought Kiri. Wait a second...

"...and did this...weird story, have anything to do with your hesitation for telling Neteyam?" Kiri suggested, her mind trying to put together the information.

"Yes...why...?"

"Liya, was this story about a girl who made Neteyam yell at her?"

"Yes, how did you know?" Liyanin's ears perked up, anticipation for what Kiri might say.

"Gah! That skxawng!" Kiri exclaimed, irritation in her voice. "He always manages to over-exaggerate that story!"

Liyanin's eyes widened. "Over-exaggerate?"

Kiri calmed herself, taking a deep breath. She then turned to face her friend, who was very much eager to hear what she had to say. "Liya...that story Lo'ak told you, yes, it has some...truth to it. But I can assure you, it was not that serious. Neteyam will not hate you for finding out what you can do."

"But if there was truth that means he does not like supernatural things, no?"

"...Liya, Neteyam actually likes you! A lot, at that! I fear, he likes you so much that if you were to leave him, you would actually make him an entirely different person!" Kiri then grabbed hold of both Liyanin's hands, trying to get through to her. "Lo'ak is an idiot. He most likely did that to tease my brother. He often does things without thinking first..."

Liyanin felt like her crumbling world was starting to slowly reconstruct itself, a small glow in her eyes. "...so, what you are saying is...is that—"

"—Is that you should tell him. He will still see you for who he came to like. Just you."

"Kiri," Liyanin sighed, tears brimming the edge of her eyes. "...I am...I am scared...!" She stated, her tears now falling as she cried.

"Of what? My brother is kind and generous..." she assured her, now hugging her, patting her back.