Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Cal

Quinlan is on me about the plan to get James out of the slammer. He says Cillian has several guys on the inside who can help us out. I should care that my cousin is in jail. I should try to get him out. There is just so much other shit to worry about right now. I tell myself that it's the best decision for all of us – to get James out.

James can add his name to the basket of potential leaders of Dublin. Quinlan seems like he doesn't really want it, but he'll do it if I ask it of him. Canavan seems to want it even less. They both say they think I should do it. It makes sense that I try to get James out.

We've officially been in Dublin two months now. Iris and Sean have been gone for weeks. Parker, Mickey, and Joe left but Parker is coming back again with Ronan, Mira, Finn Murphy, and Connor Carmichael to handle this James issue.

Viv has single-handedly been preparing my mother's company for selling. I know my mom doesn't want to sell the place until I give her a definitive answer on whether I'm leaving or staying. I wish I could give her an answer. I've been too busy cleaning this city up to think about that right now.

Meanwhile, Colm and Mason are coming up with their own plan to take down their father. I'm still wary of the whole thing, but I don't have much of a choice. I'm just waiting for Cormac Tomlin to pull some shit to try to get me out of power.

To my surprise, though, Canavan thinks I'm untouchable right now. Uncle Cormac is still playing nice. He thinks I'll leave. He thinks he can swoop in when I do.

Over my dead body.

I won't let him ruin everything my father built, and his father before him.

I'm going through ledgers in Uncle Cillian's office when there's a rap at the door. Looking up, I see Viv walking in with a plate of food, a look of punishment on her face.

"Oops, sorry," I grin.

"No worries. I lost track of time too," Viv sighs, placing the plate in front of me.

Viv and I have formed a routine the last several weeks. It's been mostly just us in this big house. After I almost attacked her with my mouth in the kitchen, I told myself I needed to cool it with her. If she wanted me, she would've let me kiss her. She hadn't. She moved away. At the time, her rejection stung. But I understand it.

There was too much going on for me to bring her into this more than she already was. Vivian's home was Chicago. I don't think I could ever call Chicago home again.

"Ronan and them get in tomorrow first thing. You ready for the show?" Viv smiles a bit as she sits in the seat across from me.

"Always," I smirk at her.

"What happens if you manage to get James out? Where will he go?"

"He'll have to hide...we're thinking Paris so Cormac doesn't come looking. At least until he's taken care of," I tell her.

"Hmm," she nods.

"You excited to see Bels and Ro?" I ask.

"I am," she admits with a grin. "It's been 2 months, but gosh, we've been so busy...don't get me wrong, I miss them. But time is flying."

"Yeah," I laugh a bit, rubbing the back of my neck.

Viv's eyes meet mine and I can't help but hold them. I said I'd back off, but damn she makes it so fucking difficult. Maybe I should send her back with Ronan. I think it's what would be best for her, although I'd never suggest it again.