Chapter 13- Gift of Speech

Start from the beginning

The hedgehog took the gloves in his hands, they were pretty standard ones you could find anywhere. But still, they were a present, and a lovely one at that. A small smile curled up from his cheek. "Thank you, Tails."

The fox blinked. "Wow, Shadow. I... I've never seen you share such extreme gratitude over a gift before."

"Don't push it." Shadow said unamused by the fox's comment. He still slid on the gloves, over his inhibitors like he did with his shoes. They fit like a glove. Pun intended.

"Looking good!" Tails cheered.

"I suppose if I am going to be wearing these all the time, I'll need to place my rings over them."

"You be fine."

"I figured. But I haven't taken them off before. I'm not sure if I can."

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Now give them to me!" He held out his hands, making a grabbing motion. "I still need to finish working on them."

Shadow chuckled. "Alright." He said and he slid off the shoes then grabbed his previous pair to slide them on. Tapping his feet afterwards to make sure they're snug.

"Uh, hello?" Silvers voice entered the room. He was peering nervously into the doorway.

"Oh, hey Silver! What's up?" Tails said.

"I was just seeing what you guys were up too. Things have been unusually mellow for a while."

"Why do you say that?" Shadow said as he adjusted his shoes.

"Yeah. Wouldn't you want it to be calm? Isn't that why you're here in the first place?" Tails said.

"Well, yes." Silver admitted. "But I just feel that whatever is happening isn't done yet. That if I go back to my time, the future would still be..." he trailed off with that last word, not wanting to say it.

"Your worry is understandable." Shadow nodded, then pressed a hand over his chin. "In all honesty, I have my own inquiries about all of this."

"What do you mean?" Tails said.

"The only two times Sonic had tried to kill us is when we or someone else is around. But these past few weeks where he has isolated himself, he hasn't once changed at all."

"Oh yeah! You're right!"

"That is rather odd." Silver said.

Shadow nodded again. "And if my hunch is correct, it most likely means that someone is doing this to him."

"Are you sure? I mean, I don't want to doubt you, Shadow. But how would someone even be able to do this to him?"

"I'm unsure. But I think I have a hunch..."

"I think I know what that hunch is." Tails added with a grin. He and Shadow shared a nod, creating a confused Silver.

"Um... Are you going to fill me in on this?"

"I'm hoooooooome~"

Sonic's voice rang through the area and the three of them all looked at each other. They had no idea he had even left.

They entered the room next door and came near the giant hedgehog, running into Knuckles who had also just came back from his usual workout routine.

"Hey guys! What's up?" Sonic said with a smile.

"You were out again?" Shadow asked.

"Yeah, I uh... had a not so good dream. Just needed to get out and clear my head, y'know."