Chapter 10

As soon as Ifunanya began walking down the hallway towards Mr. Oyi's office, she immediately felt the urge to go back.

Oh God, what am I even doing? She thought. Swallowing a nervous lump, she blew air out of her mouth again as she nearly reached his office. She was about to round the corner when his door swung open and Mr. Oyi came walking out with Miss Anita who was holding his hand and smiling at him. Consumed with panic, Ifunanya immediately turned around and hid in the corner. She tried to steady her breathing as she began thinking of what she could do. Should she just turn back now and maybe try another day? Wait, did they already see her? Oh, God.

"Wait, I thought I saw -" She heard Miss Anita's voice, and she began biting her gums out of panic.

"You thought you saw what?" Mr. Oyi asked, scanning around him.

"Eh, Jesus, Ifu, what have you done oo?" She quietly began telling herself. 

"Hmm I thought I just saw Ifunanya just now." Miss Anita said.

Gabriel Oyi suddenly became alert. "Where?" He asked, and then immediately relaxed some when he noticed the way his girlfriend was looking at him.

"I don't know, it probably wasn't her."

Ifunanya released a sigh of relief and began thinking of what to do. She checked her wrist watch and saw that she still had about five minutes before her next class would begin. 

I will just have to do this later. She thought.

But by the time she was getting ready to turn around and leave through the elevator, Mr. Oyi and Miss Anita came into view. 

And Ifunanya immediately felt tongue-tied.

"What are you doing here?!" Miss Anita asked, her face spelling fury.

"I knew it was you that I saw. Tell me, Ifunanya, what were you doing hiding in the corner, ehn?" {=>Ehn - For Emphasis<=}

Ifunanya was trying not to panic as she stared at Miss Anita's face. She noticed as an expression flashed across Mr. Oyi's face but she wasn't sure what it was.

Why did she have to agree to do this? It wasn't like Mr. Oyi was a bad teacher.

Heaving another sigh, she replied when her gaze met Miss Anita's again, remembering what Ayo had suggested to her. "Um, I was looking for Mr. Akindele because I missed a session of my Biology class last week so I wanted to see him." She swallowed, and then continued, "I went to the staff room upstairs but I didn't see him." She fought the urge to bite her tongue for lying.

She hated lying.

"And he wasn't in his office either so I was coming to Mr. Oyi's office to see if he would be there."

As soon as she said that, Gabriel narrowed his eyes and asked, "You were coming to my office to see if Roland was there?"

When he asked that, Miss Anita shot him a glance, but he hadn't noticed.

Ifunanya immediately nodded her head. "Yes, sir."

Gabriel swallowed and nodded. "Hmm, I can go ahead and give him a call and see where he is." He said.

"Wait, wait, you believe her?" Anita asked, the shock written all over her face.

"Yes, why not?" Gabriel asked lightly as he pulled out his phone from his pocket without meeting her gaze.

Anita shook her head. "Be careful, babe. This girl -"

"Babe." Gabriel cut her off. And Ifunanya could tell that the woman did not like that one bit. Maybe this challenge thing was working out after all. She couldn't wait to finish it up and not have to think about the fact that she might be hurting Mr. Oyi in the process.