Chapter 4

Ifunanya was tongue-tied when her eyes rested on her friends and what they were doing -

Or were about to do.

And before she knew it, she was standing in front of them as they both thanked the janitor and turned back to face her.

"What are you two still doing here? I thought you would be on your way home by now." She asked, cautiously looking around them to make sure no one was within earshot.

"We wanted to help." Ayomide spoke up first. And Ifunanya made a face and turned her attention to Priye who just shrugged. "We just want to help. We couldn't just let you do all this stuff yourself."

When Ifunanya didn't immediately say anything, Priye added, "Don't worry, I told my driver not to come for another two hours or so. Already sorted it out with my parents. Extra lessons." She winked, causing Ifunanya to shake her head.

She moved closer to them and grabbed an empty trash bag. "Thank you. I just hope we can get all this trash picked up on time." She said, looking around the hallway and releasing a sigh. 

That stupid Evelyn.

"Well, we will, if we start now." Ayomide said. 

"Right." 

A moment later, the three friends were going around every floor in the building picking up trash. They each had a floor, leaving them one more floor to work on. About an hour later, they met on the fourth floor.

"Jésù, you would think our peers would be neater when it came to keeping the place clean." {=>Jésù - Jesus in Yoruba language<=} Priye began, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand. 

Ayomide paused, resting her trash grabber against the wall, and heaving a hiss as she muttered, "Those ones? I'm sure I agree with Ifu now that they are immature. The girls included."

Ifunanya made a face and rested her own trash grabber against the wall. But before she could say anything, Priye spoke up, her brows furrowed in a frown. "All except my boyfriend, please."

At this, both Ifunanya and Ayomide chuckled. "Look at this one, be siding with your boyfriend ooo." Ifunanya said. {=>Look at this one, always on your boyfriend's side<=}

"Don't mind her. Before you know it now, she go go carry bele." {=>Don't mind her. Before you know it, she'll get pregnant<=} Ayomide added, and Ifunanya made a face. "Na only you fit know pesin wey go carry bele ooo, Ayo! You and this your big mouth ehn." {=>You're the only one who knows who's going to get pregnant, Ayo! You and your big mouth.<=}

"Na the only people wey be saint pass, na them dey do that kain thing. Ayo, you na number one. Ogbonge lawyer." {=> It's only the ones who pose as saints that actually do that kind of thing. Ayo, you're the number one. Original lawyer.<=} Priye bursted out, and that elicited a laugh from both Ayomide and Ifunanya.

When the laugh subsided, Ifunanya spoke up. "Okay, we have just this floor. Let's continue, biko." {=>Biko - Please<=}

About half an hour later, the girls were done picking the trash and were now on their way back to the Janitor's station. 

"This your mouth will not kill you oo, Ayo." Priye began, turning to Ayomide and releasing a yawn afterwards. Ifunanya could not contain a laugh. "You who's talking, have you called your driver? This one that you are yawning now." Ifunanya asked.

"Ah, no, wait, let me call him now. Oh why didn't you people remind me na?" {=>Na - for emphasis<=}

Ifunanya grabbed the trash grabber from Priye when they made it to the Janitor's station as Priye began calling her driver.